This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.9285 / 56°55'42"N
Longitude: -6.1446 / 6°8'40"W
OS Eastings: 147919
OS Northings: 789555
OS Grid: NM479895
Mapcode National: GBR CB6D.Q8J
Mapcode Global: WGZBL.L36X
Entry Name: Isle of Eigg, Howlin
Listing Date: 11 February 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391726
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44969
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Small Isles
Electoral Ward: Caol and Mallaig
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Late 18th century with minor alteration, late 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse, with bays widely spaced. Limewashed rubble. Door to centre masked by later gabled, red corrugated-iron porch; window flanking to left, door to right (to byre and hayloft); window to each bay at 1st floor. Blank gable to right. lean-to porch abutting gable to left.
Timber 4-pane sash and case windows, (1 hopper timber window to 1st floor front); boarded doors. Black corrugated-iron roof; coped skews and coped stone gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
Dressler explains that Howlin (formerly Hulin) was one of 8 farms on Eigg leased to Clanranald tacksmen. The farm was leased in 1770 to Lachlan MacKinnon who, reportedly, built the present house with his son, Hector, after the model of Cleadale House (demolished): it was apparently the first house of lime and glass on the island, with a byre and hayloft at one end. It is believed to have been thatched until the late 19th century when the gable ends were raised. MacKinnon earned his income from a large flock of sheep and from kelping. The Statistical Account describes the house as the only one on the island with an orchard and walled garden.
Other nearby listed buildings