This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.4451 / 56°26'42"N
Longitude: -2.8817 / 2°52'54"W
OS Eastings: 345738
OS Northings: 728446
OS Grid: NO457284
Mapcode National: GBR VN.4SQJ
Mapcode Global: WH7RK.P8YH
Entry Name: Tayport, Queen Street, Episcopal Church
Listing Date: 25 November 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393870
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46529
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tay Bridgehead
Traditional County: Fife
T Martin Cappon, 1896. Small single storey, cruciform-plan, gothic-detailed church with polygonal chancel and 2-bay nave. Red brick with painted stone lintels, cills and base course. 2-stage, sawtooth-coped, brick dividing and angle buttresses; traceried windows, that to E pointed-arch. Timber mullions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with large, 4-light pointed-arch window breaking into mock half-timbered gablehead.
W ELEVATION: polygonal chancel projecting to centre bay with later out-of-character dry-dash lean to bay to centre face,
and small 2-light traceried window to each flanking canted face. Outer bays with 2 light window to left and single light window to right (both traceried).
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: traceried window to each bay of nave to centre and right, transeptal gambrel-roofed porch in bay to left with panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight on return to right, and projecting lower piended bay with small window to each return.
N ELEVATION: mirrors S elevation but transeptal bay with 4-light window and 2-light windows to returns (all traceried).
Coloured leaded glass to chancel windows, horizontal 3- and 4- pane glazing patterns to traceried window, 4-pane glazing to timber sash and case window at porch.
Small Westmoreland grey slates with terracotta ridge tiles and finials. Tall battered stacks; deeply overhanging eaves and exposed moulded rafters.
INTERIOR: timbered roof braces on stone corbels; timber pews and dadoes, and small carved reredos.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Carefully detailed traceried windows. Unusual use of brick in this location.
Other nearby listed buildings