This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.786 / 55°47'9"N
Longitude: -2.1547 / 2°9'17"W
OS Eastings: 390394
OS Northings: 654752
OS Grid: NT903547
Mapcode National: GBR F1DJ.9Q
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.WT3R
Entry Name: Hutton Castle, Hutton Castle Mill, Kiln and Bridge
Listing Date: 29 April 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396029
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48613
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Earlier 19th century, incorporating mid 18th century structure. 2-storey and attic rectangular-plan former flour mill with attached 1?-storey square-plan kiln. Random and coursed sandstone rubble. Ashlar dressings with margins and projecting cills. Stugged ashlar long and short quoins. Stugged, coursed red and pink ashlar sandstone base to NW gable with black and red stock brick in-fill. Skew gabled with plain skews (some now missing) and putts.
SE ELEVATION: gabled end with entrance at ground floor; diagonal cast-iron support beam running from top right of door to adjoining kiln. To 1st floor, large door placed off centre right, incorporating gable end of earlier lower structure into left-hand jamb.
NE ELEVATION: 2 regularly placed bays within main storey (1st floor) of sloped elevation; small window to ground floor left. Blind gabled wallhead dormer to upper right; paired Carron lights to left of roof.
NW ELEVATION: gabled end; opening within ashlar base containing cast-iron water wheel boss and shaft. To 1st floor, later central window with remains of original glazing; directly above, now blind earlier window.
SW ELEVATION: small opening with timber lintel to extreme left of basement containing external power driver shaft and wheel assembly for internal machinery. To ground floor, window to left and right; blind remains of earlier window above right-hand bay. To 1st floor left, rectangular window with remains of original timber glazing bars. 3 cast-iron Carron lights to centre of roof with additional rooflight below left of centre.
KILN: adjoining at SW angle of sloped SE elevation.
NW ELEVATION: to right, piended blind elevation with rough opening to ground floor. To left, adjoining main mill with pitched brick gablet rising above main roofline.
SW ELEVATION: rough window opening to centre of main floor; semi-circular section cut out of roof at apex for former flue / dryer stack.
SE ELEVATION: window with ashlar cill and lintel to centre.
NE ELEVATION: window with ashlar cill and lintel to centre with semi-circular section cut out of roof at apex for former flue / dryer stack. Incorporated into right of elevation and SE elevation of main mill, gable end of earlier structure with door at 1?-storey level, roof beams now missing.
Original glazing plan now missing, partial timber frames remain in places. Pitched wallhead dormer with slated cheeks, now blind; 2-pane cast-iron Carron lights to attic. Pitched grey slate roof to main building with lead ridging and flashings; some replacement aluminium valleys. Piended roof to kiln. Partial cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: partially harled with whitewashed walls. Exposed timber beams carrying timber upper floors; open tread timber stair. Original machinery still intact, including undershot waterwheel boss and shaft; power transmission shafts; gearwheels; pinions; associated levers and slides for the 3 earlier millstone sets on the 1st floor (some now missing). Also in situ: wooden bins; hoppers; a wooden cockler drum; various powered lifts; hoists and conveyors.
BRIDGE: single-arched bridge spanning lade to NE. Rubble-coped, sandstone and whinstone rubble; regular voussoirs to round-arched openings.
Part of a B-Group with Hutton Castle; Hutton Castle, Boundary Walls, Railings, Pier, Gatepiers and Gates at West Lodge; Hutton Castle, East Lodge; Hutton Castle, Quadrant Walls, Gatepiers and Gates at East Lodge; Hutton Castle, Walled Garden and Hutton Castle, West Lodge. The building was originally known as Huttonhall Mill and was used as to produce flour. It is believed a mill has stood on the site since the 1600's. Part of the mill was shown on the Armstrong map of 1771, with the major part of the current mill being built in the earlier part of the 19th century. It is part of the estate known as Hutton Castle, formerly known as Hutton Hall. The mill is sited down stream, near Harper Heugh. A sluice led to the lade, or "mill lead" as it was known. It ran from a bend in the river by the weir, diagonally across a field to the mill, which is sited on the south bank of the Whiteadder Water. Part of the ashlar sluice still exists, as does the mill lade, although now it is marked on maps as a drain. The single span bridge directly adjacent to the mill still survives. There was a complex of buildings to the east of the site, but none of these survive. This, and the Netherbyres Mill near Ayton - a former tweed and meal mill, ceased production in 1948 when tremendous flooding occurred in the region and the cauld was washed away. Maps dating from the 1800's warned that the plain Hutton Castle Mill is on was "liable to be flooded". The village of Hutton and the Castle are sited upon a hillside rising to the south of the mill, and a small road adjacent to the church links them. Listed as a good example of an unaltered mill with much of its machinery still surviving.
Other nearby listed buildings