This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.4417 / 56°26'30"N
Longitude: -2.9409 / 2°56'27"W
OS Eastings: 342088
OS Northings: 728120
OS Grid: NO420281
Mapcode National: GBR VL.B4TR
Mapcode Global: WH7RJ.SCS2
Entry Name: Newport-On-Tay, Tay Street, Drinking Fountain
Listing Date: 27 November 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396534
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49028
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Tay Bridgehead
Traditional County: Fife
Walter Macfarlane & Co, dated 1882. Substantial canopied cast-iron drinking fountain, Moorish design, prominently sited. 2 8-sided concrete stone steps to dais and concrete covered plinth. 8 columns on chamfered bases with foliate detailing to base, capital and interior supporting 8 arches with scallop edging. Plaques in roundels above all arches decorated with herons and stags and inscribed 'KEEP THE PAVEMENT DRY'. Plaque to E inscribed 'THE GIFT OF MRS BLYTH MARTIN 1882'. Stylised creatures between plaques; ribbed domed roof. Traceried metal with floral designs. Fountain painted cream colour; plaques and capitals painted red, creatures and roof ribs painted gold, column bases painted brown and floral detail inside above capitals painted green and red. Redundant replacement water pipe in centre with drain set into concrete. Fountain built upon stone base with plain 7-sided cast-iron railings with arrowhead motif. No railings to E but low stone entrance piers on shouldered bases; chamfered arrises with flower detail to street front (E) and inner face; flanking railings join identical terminating stone piers.
A fine example of a Victorian drinking fountain, which celebrates the versatility of cast-iron to decorative effect. It is unusual in its substantial form and landscaped context. The Macfarlane & Co Saracen Foundry in Glasgow produced a number of drinking fountains, of which this is an example. Similar to Nos 20 and 21 in their catalogue, this fountain would also have had a finial and anornate drinking trough (now missing). In the catalogue, Macfarlane says: 'A supply of drinking water to the outdoor population, and also to the lower animals is now an acknowledged necessity of the changed circumstances of the times and the growing intelligence of the community, encouraging habits of temperance and humanity, and promoting the moral and physical improvement of the people.' Philanthropy coupled with the movement for improving social conditions; here Mrs Blyth Martin donated the fountain to the people of Newport. The Blyths were a Dundee family; Mrs Blyth Martin also gifted Blyth Hall on nearby Blyth Street to the community, in memory of her brothers. The stone wall which continues from the piers and which fronts Tay Street is not part of the Statutory List.
Other nearby listed buildings