This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.7244 / 55°43'27"N
Longitude: -2.8989 / 2°53'55"W
OS Eastings: 343639
OS Northings: 648256
OS Grid: NT436482
Mapcode National: GBR 8267.6S
Mapcode Global: WH7W1.FCTX
Entry Name: Symington House
Listing Date: 17 March 2009
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400183
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51300
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Unitary Authority Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Midlothian
Dated 1812. 2-storey, 5-bay, near-symmetrical, rectangular-plan country house with slightly recessed single-storey hipped-roof pavilions to outer bays and substantial Classical doorpiece occupying elevated hillside position overlooking the Gala Valley. Coursed black whinstone with pale sandstone ashlar dressings. Raised margins. In-and-out quoins with droved chamfers. Moulded cornice with blocking course. Shallow piended roof. Whinstone rubble to side and rear elevations.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps to timber panelled door to centre with diamond-pattern glazing to fanlight above. Heavy doorpiece with Doric pilasters and deep moulded cornice.
PAVILIONS: 2-leaf, timber french door to left pavilion with ornamental glazing pattern; window to right pavilion. Tripartite windows with moulded stone mullions to N and S elevations.
Mid 20th century single-storey brick addition extending to NW corner angle forming L-plan. To Rear: large round-arched, leaded stair window to central bay breaking roof line of later, lean-to, brick addition running length of E (rear) elevation.
Predominantly non-traditional uPVC windows. Grey slate. Shallow piended roof with broad coped end stacks. Tall moulded octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2008
GATE LODGE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: diminuitive, single storey gate lodge with canted windows to W elevation and door to centre. Gate rubble boundary walls and coped, square-capped gatepiers.
Symington is a good example of a compact early 19th century Georgian country house occupying a fine setting overlooking the Galawater. It is notable for its refined massing and detailing to principal elevation. The substantial classical doorpiece and diminuitive flanking pavilions add further interest. The black whinstone masonry is brick-cut and of considerable quality.
Farming at Symington dates back to at least the 17th century. There was no mansion house on the estate of Symington until the present house was built by General John Pringle. The date of 1812 is inscribed on one of the quoins to the left front of the building. The house was built on the site of an earlier steading at Symington, depicted on William Roy's military map of 1745. The Pringles were a prominent border family and Lairds of Gala from the early 15th to mid 17th century.