History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatepiers and Adjoining Wall, Dock Place, Leith

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9775 / 55°58'39"N

Longitude: -3.1715 / 3°10'17"W

OS Eastings: 326990

OS Northings: 676677

OS Grid: NT269766

Mapcode National: GBR 8T4.2Q

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.800W

Entry Name: Gatepiers and Adjoining Wall, Dock Place, Leith

Listing Date: 29 May 2015

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 405105

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52342

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Unitary Authority Ward: Leith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Seafield

Description

Circa 1806. Pair of tall, octagonal-plan, ashlar gatepiers with octagonal caps, located to the south of the swing bridge (see separate listing) at Dock Place, Leith.

The gatepiers are flanked by sections of tall, stugged ashlar wall with rounded copes. There is a pedestrian opening within the east side. The section of wall to the west is curved.

Statement of Interest

The gatepiers and adjoining wall to the south of the swing bridge (see separate listing) at Dock Place are a surviving remnant of the former perimeter of the gated docks at Leith, the first of its kind in Scotland. The gatepiers and adjoining wall contribute to our understanding of 19th century dock construction as well as forming part of a wider group of industrial and maritime landmarks at Leith, then the most advanced port in Scotland. The large size and uniformity of the gatepiers represent security. The contextual and visual relationship with the adjacent swing bridge spanning the entrance to the former East Dock adds to the interest of the gatepiers.

The former docks were built by John Rennie at the advent of the modern industrial period (circa 1801-6). Rennie was one of Britain's foremost civil engineers during the early 19th century, following the death of John Smeaton in 1792 and before Thomas Telford rose to prominence by 1820. Born in Scotland and based in London from 1792, Rennie became nationally renowned for his innovative and pioneering early 19th century dock and harbour works.

The gatepiers were previously listed as part of LB 27061. Change of category from B to C, 2015.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.