This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9775 / 55°58'39"N
Longitude: -3.1715 / 3°10'17"W
OS Eastings: 326990
OS Northings: 676677
OS Grid: NT269766
Mapcode National: GBR 8T4.2Q
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.800W
Entry Name: Gatepiers to South of Swing Bridge Including Adjoining Wall, Dock Place, Leith, Edinburgh
Listing Date: 29 May 2015
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 405105
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52342
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
The gatepiers are flanked by sections of tall, stugged ashlar wall with rounded copes. There is a pedestrian opening within the east side. The section of wall to the west is curved.
The gatepiers and adjoining wall to the south of the swing bridge (see separate listing) at Dock Place are a surviving remnant of the former perimeter of the gated docks at Leith, the first of its kind in Scotland. The gatepiers and adjoining wall contribute to our understanding of 19th century dock construction as well as forming part of a wider group of industrial and maritime landmarks at Leith, then the most advanced port in Scotland. The large size and uniformity of the gatepiers represent security. The contextual and visual relationship with the adjacent swing bridge spanning the entrance to the former East Dock adds to the interest of the gatepiers.
The former docks were built by John Rennie at the advent of the modern industrial period (circa 1801-6). Rennie was one of Britain's foremost civil engineers during the early 19th century, following the death of John Smeaton in 1792 and before Thomas Telford rose to prominence by 1820. Born in Scotland and based in London from 1792, Rennie became nationally renowned for his innovative and pioneering early 19th century dock and harbour works.
The gatepiers were previously listed as part of LB 27061. Change of category from B to C, 2015.
Other nearby listed buildings