This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2201 / 53°13'12"N
Longitude: -3.6269 / 3°37'36"W
OS Eastings: 291474
OS Northings: 370459
OS Grid: SH914704
Mapcode National: GBR 6C.11H1
Mapcode Global: WH65M.8B58
Entry Name: Chapel at Garthewin
Listing Date: 30 January 1968
Last Amended: 22 July 1998
Source ID: 184
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located 30m to the W of Garthewin, accessed via a flight of parapeted rubble steps.
Community: Llanfair Talhaiarn (Llanfair Talhaearn)
Community: Llanfair Talhaiarn
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Formerly the estate carpenter's workshop, and perhaps contemporary with the early C18 rebuilding of Garthewin under Dr Robert Wynne, Chancellor of St Asaph and Vicar of Gresford. The building was converted to a Roman Catholic chapel in 1932 by Robert Wynne Esq, to his own designs.
Small rectangular chapel. Of rubble construction with slated roof and slab-coped gable parapets with shaped stone kneelers; at the W end is a flush shallow-gabled bellcote with a round-arched bell opening. Tall, round-arched entrance with thin slatestone voussoirs; deeply-recessed 6-panel double doors with segmental tympanum above containing a Della Robbia Annunciation group of polychromed terracotta. Three rectangular round-headed leaded windows to each side. A small irregularly-flagged terrace lies in front of the W gable.
Plain plastered interior with simple clustered roof trusses.
Included for group value with other listed items at Garthewin.
Other nearby listed buildings