This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2728 / 53°16'22"N
Longitude: -3.5303 / 3°31'48"W
OS Eastings: 298048
OS Northings: 376187
OS Grid: SH980761
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZSL.HH
Mapcode Global: WH658.RZ3V
Entry Name: Llwyni Lodge, also known as the Golden Lodge and Gate Lodge
Listing Date: 4 October 1973
Last Amended: 5 August 1997
Source ID: 242
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The Lodge stands on the side of the A547 Rhuddlan Road at the inner S end of the avenue leading to Kinmel Hall, but now on the N margin of the main A55 Holyhead Road. The lodge stands on a slightly ra
Locality: Kinmel, Coed-y-drive
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Designed and built in 1868 by W E Nesfield for Hugh Robert Hughes of Kinmel, developing the design for a lodge he first employed at Kew Gardens in 1866. Llwyni Lodge was named after the former large house in this area and is placed midway along the northern driveway to Kinmel, which begins with Morfa Lodge and leads up to the proud new mansion.
Ashlar sandstone, with a hipped slate roof with swept eaves. One storey and attic. Rectangular in plan with the main front to the drive. Central door, set slightly forward. Eared and shouldered architrave rising from dies. Above, a field spangled with H's and sunflowers, with other plants in relief at the sides. Brackets support a small balcony with low iron railing and terminal flowers in front of the tall attic window. Timber leaded cross windows with eared and shouldered architraves, and scrolled freize over carrying the date. The walls are capped with a frieze of bold chrysanthemum 'pies' characteristic of Nesfield's work, and a stone cornice. One tall dormer, with a timber cross window on each face of the building, crowned by a pulvinating frieze adorned with sunflowers and a segmental timber pediment. Tall panelled stone stack on the rear (W) slope of the roof, carrying the Hughes arms.
The interior consists of two small rooms (not seen).
Listed Grade I on account of it being a seminal building in the development of the Queen Anne movement, and particularly in the use of chrysanthemum and sunflower motifs.
Other nearby listed buildings