This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1858 / 53°11'8"N
Longitude: -3.1133 / 3°6'47"W
OS Eastings: 325702
OS Northings: 365989
OS Grid: SJ257659
Mapcode National: GBR 71.36UP
Mapcode Global: WH776.46Q1
Entry Name: Farm Building at Llwyn Offa Farm
Listing Date: 13 January 1987
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 554
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: At the end of a short track, on the R and adjacent to Llwyn Offa Cottage.
Community: Northop (Llaneurgain)
Locality: Llwyn Offa
Traditional County: Flintshire
C17-18 multi-purpose farm building, containing a barn with threshing floor and storage area to upper (N) end. Byre and stable with hay loft to lower (S) end. The barn retains early features with a domestic appearance, including a stone mullioned window, stop-chamfered cross beam and timber doorway with shaped head, which may have been incorporated when the farmhouse was replaced in the mid-C19. It is possible that the original farmhouse was at the S end of the barn.
Long farm range orientated N-S on a slope. Constructed of rubble sandstone with squared quoins under an undulating slate roof, the planked doors with timber lintels. High coped gable to uphill (N) end, under which is a large 3-light timber window with timber lintel. Below are 2 ventilation slits infilled with pipes. The E side, from R, has a single doorway flanked by ventilation slits, 2 to L and 1 to R (all infilled with pipes). To the L is a raised door which formerly led to the threshing floor, and is reached by stone steps. Stable doors beyond with square loft hatch above. Further L is a 3-light stone mullioned window (from the former farmhouse?), beyond which is a planked door. Added unit to S end with C20 external stair to upper level doorway, and stable doorway to far L. Coped S gable with kneelers. The W side, from L has a C20 brick lean-to with 2 planked doors, flanked by ventilation slits. Further R is a long blockwork lean-to with stable doors. At the R end is a loft hatch opening over a flat-roofed addition.
The roof has pegged tie-beam trusses with raked struts and trenched purlins; the floors are mainly brick-paved, the cross-walls timber-framed with brick infill on stone plinths. The N unit was probably for storing or drying corn; it has 4 ventilation slits to the W side, and 2 to the N and E, all with wide splayed reveals and timber lintels. A small unit to the L has a central passage and threshing floor (the rear door blocked), with mid-C20 alterations; the floor is concrete, the walls plastered, and the roof ceiled. To the L is a narrow stable, beyond which is a byre with former stalls at right angles. This has a large central chamfered cross-beam with ornate stops, probably inserted. The S wall is of stone and appears to have been the original end wall of the building, with a further unit added to the S end. The wall contains a square recess with a stone sill, with another to the W wall. Added loose box to W side. At hay loft level, the original end wall contains a pegged timber door surround with segmental arched head, almost certainly reused. Below and visible from the S side is projecting stonework which has the appearance of a former chimney breast. The S unit was a stable.
Listed as a good vernacular multi-purpose farm building of the C17-18, well-preserved and incorporating features from a former house.
Group value with Llwyn Offa Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings