This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.192 / 53°11'31"N
Longitude: -3.3438 / 3°20'37"W
OS Eastings: 310312
OS Northings: 366946
OS Grid: SJ103669
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.2XY5
Mapcode Global: WH772.L1X8
Entry Name: Pentre-mawr
Listing Date: 19 July 1966
Last Amended: 22 October 2002
Source ID: 751
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Reached by a minor side road to the west of the B5429, about 2km north of Llandyrnog village. In a group with its farm buildings and Pentre-bach.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A house now apparently of the Regency period, based on a house of perhaps the C15/16 which has been enlarged in stages. Exterior timber framing has been observed at the south-west corner of the house, but not in sufficient detail to give a clear indication of age. It appears this early core was extended to the rear, northwards, and there is an early kitchen range in this part. The house was later enlarged to the east and given not-quite-symmetrical front wings.
The character of the exterior and the best interiors is that of the Regency period. It was then enlarged to the rear to become double-pile and given an elegant repetitive garden elevation to the north and a symmetrical front with a central Tuscan porch to the east.
The house has long been the property of the Williams family and descendants of different surname; the owner and occupier is noted in the Tithe Survey (1839) as Mrs Sarah Williams. The 1874 map shows what appears to be a conservatory between the south wings, which no longer exists. The house has recently undergone very extensive renovation.
The house is now planned as 2 parallel ranges extending east/west, with 2 short south wings; it is of 2 storeys, rendered, with hipped slate roofs and painted in an off-white tint with white features. Four chimney stacks: 3 rendered, one of axe-dressed limestone.
The principal elevations are now to east and north. The east elevation is the main front, of 3 bays with a gabled advancing centre bay and a 4-column Tuscan porch. Twelve-pane central window with hornless sashes; tripartite flanking windows with similar main sashes. Stone window sills, Tudor-style label moulds. The main door is panelled and semi-glazed. The north elevation is of 4 bays, with false windows in the right bay. Above are 2 tripartite windows flanked by 2 plain windows, below are 4 tripartite windows, all similar to those of the front elevation. The ground storey room at left has been brought forward under a flat roof but its tripartite window retained.
The south and west elevations are less regularly fenestrated, with to the south 4 windows with triple arch-headed lights above; one sash window, other modern multiple pane doors and windows below; to the west a single storey lean to, one sash window above and a rear door. The larger south and west windows and those on the returns of the south wing have sills and Tudor style label moulds similar to those of the main elevation.
The interior planning of the house is based on a corridor on the axis of the present main entrance, probably derived from a rear passage in the earlier layout; there is an upstairs corridor to one side of this. Main reception rooms to the north; Regency plasterwork and other decoration. Boxed shutters throughout. Staircase to the far end of the main corridor with splat balusters.
A fine house of gentry status, retaining its character from a substantial improvement in the Regency period.
Other nearby listed buildings