History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuildings SE of Pentre-mawr, incorporating The Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandyrnog, Denbighshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1918 / 53°11'30"N

Longitude: -3.3431 / 3°20'34"W

OS Eastings: 310363

OS Northings: 366919

OS Grid: SJ103669

Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.2Y60

Mapcode Global: WH772.M18F

Entry Name: Outbuildings SE of Pentre-mawr, incorporating The Lodge

Listing Date: 19 July 1966

Last Amended: 22 October 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 752

Building Class: Domestic

County: Denbighshire

Community: Llandyrnog

Locality: Pentre-mawr

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llandyrnog

History

A datestone facing the yard reads "REM / 1803". It appears from the 1874 map that there was a late C19 round-ended south extension to the barn, presumably for a covered horse-gin. The scar of its roof is still visible on the south elevation. The cottage at the south-east corner appears to be contemporary with the rest.

Exterior

A large building consisting of 2 ranges meeting at right angles, consisting of stabling and granaries parallel to the road, a cottage at the corner, and (in the second range at right angles) a barn and a cartshed. The whole is of brick: the bond is part English and part Flemish, seemingly arbitrarily mixed. It is now roofed with sheet metal, apart from the cottage which retains its slated roof. It is all of uniform height. Tall cartway through the centre of the stabling range, with an open cupola and weather vane above.

The cottage at the corner is of 2 windows to the front (facing a small walled garden) and 2 windows to the side (facing the road). All but one are 6-paned hornless sash windows. Semi-glazed central front door. Modern brick chimney stack.

The stable and granary range along the road has multiple vent panels of lozenge form, in 4 tiers aligned diagonally. Great opening centrally with half height doors in rebates; cambered brick arch with keystone. Four hatches close to eaves, 3 other hatches. Eleven stable doors at rear; 4 loft hatches and an attached wooden dovecote. The barn in other range has opposed great doors, that to the front walled up, hatches to front and rear and 3 tiers of ventilators. Three elliptical arched cartsheds with hatches over each bay; stable and loft at end.

Reasons for Listing

A substantial dated range of farm improvement buildings of the Napoleonic period; listed also for group value with Pentre-mawr.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.