This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1837 / 53°11'1"N
Longitude: -3.35 / 3°21'0"W
OS Eastings: 309882
OS Northings: 366026
OS Grid: SJ098660
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.3GQ6
Mapcode Global: WH772.H7ZN
Entry Name: Glan-y-wern Hall
Listing Date: 19 July 1966
Last Amended: 22 October 2002
Source ID: 755
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 1 km north-west of Llandyrnog village, in parkland to north of the Waen to Denbigh road.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A house based on a partially surviving C18 house but owing its architectural character to extensive work of c1810. The original house constitutes the north-east (north) corner of the house as now found; its brick-vaulted cellars extend out beneath what is now a yard and garage area to the north and east, implying that considerable parts were demolished. The additions of c1810 extended it to south and west, and include a suite of reception rooms on the west side, the dining room on the south side and the entrance hall at the centre to south leading to a central staircase. The architects of the original house and its Regency enlargement have not been identified.
The house has lost a conservatory (seen in an old painting) which stood against the centre of the west elevation, and has gained a mid-C19 south porch (pre-1874) designed by the architect W E Nesfield.
In the C18 Glan-y-wern was owned by the Powell and subsequently by the Clough families; the transformation of the house c.1810 was in the time of the Maddocks family. In 1839 Mrs Sidney Maddocks was recorded as owner of the house with park and home farm of about 280 acres (113.4 hectares). The Humberston family were owners at the time of the addition of the south porch.
Glan-y-wern is now a 2-storey house of 7 bays in local limestone ashlar masonry with concealed slated hipped roofs. It faces south (south-east) to a gravelled forecourt. The main garden elevation is to the west and is also of 7 bays. The masonry of these 2 main elevations and a small return to the north side is in graded courses. The front has a modest cornice and blocking course, and the west elevation has the same plus a raised centre to the blocking course above the mid 3 bays, which are very slightly advanced.
The windows of the front and west elevations consists of 12-pane hornless sash windows above and unequal 15-pane hornless sash windows below. Most are believed to be original, in hardwood, with original hand-made glass; some are reglazed in special conservation quality glass of similar appearance.
The front elevation has a central single-storey porch also in limestone ashlar (by Nesfield). This has clasping corner pilasters based at sill level. Central 7-panel door within an eared architrave with heraldic panels above. Sash windows to left and front, fixed light to right.
The return bay to the north and a rendered bay adjoin the older house which is in brickwork. Of the older house the original fabric is visible only at the north: it is of brickwork with 2 short wings and hipped slate roofs. One lower window in the left wing is of simplified Venetian type with timber mullions; the others are mainly 12-pane sash windows. The east elevation is also a part of the older house but is of 3 storeys, rendered, with irregular fenestration.
The planning of Glan-y-wern is constrained by the retention of the old house, but conforms as far as possible nonetheless to symmetry about 2 axes. The house is entered at the centre of the south elevation by the porch and a large hall containing 2 scagliola columns screening the doors to the central stairs and to the service areas. The staircase is of stone, placed centrally but turned 90 degrees; it is an important feature and consists of a single lower flight and twin return cantilevered flights with a hardwood handrail on ornate cast iron balusters. Above the stairwell is a glazed cupola.
To the left of the entrance is the first of a suite of 3 similarly decorated reception rooms of high interior quality, occupying the full length of the west elevation. The centre room is the drawing room. Restrained plasterwork in Adamesque/Regency tradition, the cornices featuring repeated Prince of Wales feathers; Classical marble fireplaces. To the right of the entrance is the dining room. The reception rooms are linked by mahogany double doors.
Listed at Grade II* as a fine country house of the Regency period, retaining its parkland setting.
Other nearby listed buildings