This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6156 / 51°36'56"N
Longitude: -3.1775 / 3°10'39"W
OS Eastings: 318568
OS Northings: 191411
OS Grid: ST185914
Mapcode National: GBR HY.9FFD
Mapcode Global: VH6DM.WN1B
Entry Name: Capel y Babell
Listing Date: 15 June 1972
Last Amended: 16 September 1999
Source ID: 1886
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the S boundary of Cwmfelin-fach and a short way N of the Sirhowy River, in a maintained open space, a walled graveyard adjoining to E.
Community: Ynysddu (Ynys-ddu)
Built-Up Area: Cwmfelinfach
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Dated 1827. Former Presbyterian Chapel now converted to visitor centre. Important for its association with the poet Islwyn, bardic name of William Thomas born 1832 at Ty'r Agent Ynysddu and buried in the chapel cemetery. He was ordained as Methodist Minister 1859 and became part of the Eisteddfod revival movement. Known as the 'Welsh Browning', one of his most well-known poems was 'Ystorm'. Died 1878. In the next village to N, the hamlet of Gelli-groes within Pontllanfraith Community, Siloh Chapel has an inscription to Aneurin Jones 1822-1904, bardic name Aneurin Fardd, author. poet, critic, friend and teacher of Islwyn, the latter reputedly having his early poems printed at a press near the mill.
Small chapel. Of whitewashed stone with half-hipped Welsh slate roof and terracotta ridge tiles. Two tall round-headed windows with renewed multipane glazing in each end elevation, datestone at front; square headed recessed side door with moulded render surround and adjacent lateral chimney. Extending from sides are remodelled railed walls of the cemetery enclosure.
Interior retains a pulpit by gable-end wall, an organ, four pews, an altar rail and fire grate but has been converted to use as a visitor centre with further modern fittings.
Listed as a small early chapel especially for its assocation with the Welsh poet Islwyn; group value with Islwyn monument.
Other nearby listed buildings