This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6336 / 51°38'0"N
Longitude: -3.1773 / 3°10'38"W
OS Eastings: 318616
OS Northings: 193410
OS Grid: ST186934
Mapcode National: GBR HY.87HX
Mapcode Global: VH6DM.W65J
Entry Name: Caerllwyn Isaf and attached byre/stable
Listing Date: 27 January 1982
Last Amended: 16 September 1999
Source ID: 1901
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the W flank of Mynyddislwyn, close to the N/S mountain road which leads S to Cwmfelinfach in the Sirhowy Valley; stands in a walled and gated enclosure with stone stile to field.
Community: Ynysddu (Ynys-ddu)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Probably C17, roof raised and rear wing added late C19 or c 1900. The two small detached byres flanking the main unit, not included, are also of the roughly similar later date. When listed in 1982 roof was mainly of stone slates but these now replaced with composite tiles.
Farmhouse with attached byre and stable. Of whitewashed stone rubble with composite tile roof; corniced rubble end and ridge stacks with yellow brick capping courses. 2 storeys. Elevation facing road has a small 12-pane casement window under eaves, another masked; hood extends over two 6-pane ground floor casements. Attached byre range has 3 doorways under wooden lintels, to right the cross passage, centre the byre and end left the stable, with signs of masonry alteration between the two latter. Garden facing elevation of original unit has small 6-pane casement under eaves, 2 altered ground floor openings, one with hood, and at right angles the 2-storey wing of c 1900.
Interior of old part of house is much remodelled with roof raised in late C19 but retains spiral stairs to right of fireplace; cross passage backing onto chimney wall adjoins byre with loft, still in use as cowshed with mangers for tethered cows. Attached stable - straight joint with byre - has brick floor; formerly used for shire houses and chaff house, the chaff cutting machinery formerly worked by horse in adjacent yard; wooden stairs to loft which has trusses with collar and tie and 3 rows of trenched purlins.
Listed as a traditional regional farmhouse and byre retaining much of its historic fabric.
Other nearby listed buildings