This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7001 / 51°42'0"N
Longitude: -2.9046 / 2°54'16"W
OS Eastings: 337579
OS Northings: 200538
OS Grid: SO375005
Mapcode National: GBR J9.442Q
Mapcode Global: VH79V.LJTK
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 1 April 1974
Last Amended: 30 April 2004
Source ID: 2176
Building Class: Civil
Location: In a prominent position, occupying the centre of the S part of the street at its widest point, on a triangular plot which incorporates the South African War Memorial.
Community: Usk (Brynbuga)
Built-Up Area: Usk
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The administrative centre of the town from 1598 when the Earl of Pembroke granted the site to the town burgesses to replace an earlier hall probably in the earlier market place of Twyn Square. It served as the court house until the new court in Maryport Street was constructed in mid C19 and was also the first county police HQ, town lock-up and fire-station. Arcaded ground floor market space with council chamber above is thought to have been constructed in 1771 and the north wing facing up New Market Street in early C19. It was remodelled in 1834, probably involving the upper storey, then modified in 1859 by County Surveyor. Before the arcaded ground floor market was blocked in, part was used as a fire-station, with fire engines under the arches and hoses extending beside the Royal Hotel to the River Usk. Prison cells were also erected under the arches Now a club-house.
Large market house with classical detail. Two adjoining units: two storeys to the block facing up New Market Street (N) and three storeys to the rear block facing Old Market Street (S). N unit has a lower slate roof with brick end stacks. Frontage is rendered with raised exposed stone quoins; a fine 6-window range of 12-pane first floor sashes, the centre four forming a wide projecting gabled bay with clock in apex; below a string course the ground floor windows are C20 inserts; ground floor to sides is of roughly squared stone; one first floor sash window matching those of S unit. S taller unit has hipped slate roof with coved eaves cornice surmounted by louvred cupola and weathervane. Ground floor is of roughly dressed coursed stone, the upper floors are rendered, part scored, and painted. Main 5-bay S elevation has round-arched arcade with impost band (the arches now blocked and filled with later windows and doors); first floor has segmental-arched horned 12-pane sashes in reveals; above are blind oculi with architraves linked by a band at impost level which extends round W return. W elevation has a lateral stack, single blocked first floor window to main wing and stone staircase to first floor rising across side of N wing and former arches of S wing. E elevation is similar to S, 2 bays wide and facing Old Market Street; one of the market arches has been converted to current entrance.
Has been converted to club premises with little historic fabric surviving: two bars downstairs - one with some cast iron columns; bar and function room on first floor. The staircase rises against the E wall.
A prominent building with C18 origins and an important site history.
Other nearby listed buildings