This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.813 / 51°48'46"N
Longitude: -2.7106 / 2°42'38"W
OS Eastings: 351107
OS Northings: 212947
OS Grid: SO511129
Mapcode National: GBR FL.WVNG
Mapcode Global: VH86T.YPVJ
Entry Name: The Old Dispensary
Listing Date: 27 June 1952
Last Amended: 10 August 2005
Source ID: 2327
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Prominently sited within the main group of historic buildings on the east side of Monmouth and about 300m east of the town square.
Community: Monmouth (Trefynwy)
Built-Up Area: Monmouth
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Mid C18 with early C19 alterations; externally unaltered since then. It became the Monmouth Dispensary in 1857 and was later the town hospital (1868, Kelly's) until that moved to Hereford Road (qv) in 1903.
Stucco fronted and painted with cill bands and a Welsh slate roof. Double depth central entrance house. Three storeys, five windows. Central doorcase with broken pediment, and three-quarter fluted Doric columns, 6-panel door with radiating bar fanlight. The windows are early C19 sashes with some original glass, 6 over 6 panes, 3 over 6 on the upper floor. Modillion cornice, hipped roof with spike finials on the corners and large brick stacks on either wall.
Rear elevation not seen.
Interior not available for inspection at resurvey, but it is said to have retained C18 panelling in the front room to right of the entrance. The staircase has an C18 balustrade reused on a more modern flight of steps.
Included for its special architectural interest as a mid C18 building of definite character near Monmouth town centre.
Other nearby listed buildings