This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8172 / 51°49'1"N
Longitude: -3.0609 / 3°3'39"W
OS Eastings: 326966
OS Northings: 213704
OS Grid: SO269137
Mapcode National: GBR F3.WRCP
Mapcode Global: VH795.WLP9
Entry Name: Canal Warehouse At Govilon Wharf
Listing Date: 17 December 1973
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 2730
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Set back on the north side of the canal between the railway viaduct and Govilon Yard bridge. The principal building at Govilon Wharf, now the British Waterways Board Office.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Built-Up Area: Govilon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
History: Govilon Wharf was a key point on the canal for the local iron industry and was the terminus for Bailey's Tramroad from Nantyglo Ironworks. The canal as a whole was linked to many tramroads and was important for trade in iron, lime and coal. Although Govilon Wharf lies at the end of the section completed in 1805 under Thomas Cartwright, the warehouse was built after 1821 as Bailey's iron warehouse (tramroad was opened on 6th December 1821).
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal (now known as the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal) was constructed between 1797 and 1812. Gradually the railway took traffic off the canal and eventually it was bought out by the Great Western Railway. Restoration work began in 1964.
Description: Rectangular, 3-storey, rubble warehouse. The hipped slate roof retains old slates to the front despite the introduction of two skylights. Symmetrical canal-side elevation with two, broadly-spaced, windows flanking a central boarded door; all camber-headed openings with stone voussoirs and stone sills. Various modern 2-light timber casements. Right hand side retains a large triangular cast-iron frame which formerly supported the crane.Outside staircase to 1st floor loading door. At rear two similar windows to 1st and 2nd floors and a camber-headed doorway to ground-floor. Relocated GWR boundary post to west.
Listed for its special interest as a rare surviving example of an early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal warehouse.
Group value with other listed canal structures at Govilon.
References: S Hughes,The Brecon Forest Tramroads,(RCAHMW,1990)p.335.
R A Stevens, Brecknock & Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals (Towpath Guide No 2), (Cambridge, 1974), p51.
Other nearby listed buildings