This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.553 / 51°33'10"N
Longitude: -2.8493 / 2°50'57"W
OS Eastings: 341214
OS Northings: 184131
OS Grid: ST412841
Mapcode National: GBR JD.F612
Mapcode Global: VH7BN.K7K9
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 31 October 1996
Source ID: 2940
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: At village centre, opposite village hall and Rose Inn.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Medieval church with work of C14, and C15, but possibly C12 origins. Restored 1875.
Brown-yellow, grey and buff stone, slate roofs. Nave, N and S aisles, central tower, chancel, S porch. Tower of 3 stages has crenellated parapet (interior stair at SW corner), 2-light Decorated windows to bell stage, similar windows to middle stage (but W window single-light). Clerestorey has two 2-light windows to N and S. South porch rises above eaves of aisle, castellated and arcaded parapet; ashlar front, soffit of door arch retains some trefoil panelled decoration, to R of doorway, mark recording height of great flood of 1606/7; inside late C15 porch defaced head corbels, benches, simple arched entrance doorway with trefoil niche above.
To L and R of porch single 2-light square-headed window. West end has 4-light C19 Perpendicular window below which is doorway with enriched jambs with (worn) alternating flowers and lions' heads. N side of Aisle has doorway with 3-light Perp window to L, and 2-light square-headed window to R. N side if chancel has 2-light
Decorated window. S side of chancel has 3-light square-headed window, and, at lower level, 2-light square-headed window. Unusual Decorated 3-light E window has undulating head, reticulated tracery, hoodmould with tiny head stops.
There is the socket and part of the shaft of a medieval cross near the churchyard gates. [A much restored cross on the green outside].
Three bay aisle with hexagonal shafts. Arch-braced roof. Low chancel/tower arch with largely C19 roodloft. Simple boarded roof to chancel. Early English(?) font has square bowl with scallops supported on central pillar with water-holding base, and 4 corner shafts.
Graded I as fine example of medieval church.
Other nearby listed buildings