History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bodafon Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandudno, Conwy

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3179 / 53°19'4"N

Longitude: -3.7971 / 3°47'49"W

OS Eastings: 280379

OS Northings: 381609

OS Grid: SH803816

Mapcode National: GBR 1ZX2.QC

Mapcode Global: WH64Y.NV1T

Entry Name: Bodafon Hall

Listing Date: 16 March 1976

Last Amended: 6 June 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3376

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Above road to S of Bodafon Hall Farm.

County: Conwy

Community: Llandudno

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llandudno

History

Originally Bodafon Farmhouse of the Mostyn Estate. Present house probably has origins in a rebuilding, perhaps during the tenancy of Erasmus Davies (from 1752). At time of Tithe Map, one of the largest farms in the area with 108 acres (43.7ha) in Llandudno parish, and 65 acres (26.3ha) in Eglwysrhos parish. From 1849, the house was tenanted by John Williams, the Mostyn land agent, instrumental in the early development of the resort of Llandudno. His household included 10 servants at the time of the 1851 census. Williams died in 1876, and the farm became tenanted by Evan Jones, who converted part of the farm ranges below to a dwelling, and the house became gentrified as Bodafon Hall. The hall was the Mostyn Estate offices from 1913-1922; and was a hotel from 1929-1987.

Exterior

Two storey house with rear yard and wing. Slate roof, rectangular chimneys raised in brick. Stone walls with roughcast render. Modern casement windows imitating 4-pane sashes. Front elevation of house has large gable at left (SE) end with a window on first floor and a canted three-light bay window below. In the second bay, a flight of stone steps with mid C19 or earlier railings leads up to a six-panelled door with top two panels glazed. In the third bay there is a window with gable over it and a canted bay window on ground floor. The fourth bay has a window on each floor. Fifth bay at SE end has a window on ground floor. South-east garden elevation four windows and small gables over on first floor.

Interior

Inside, ground floor room of garden wing said to have three ceiling beams (plastered or boxed in) and a large fireplace. In the front wing, the ground floor room at South-east end said to have two chamfered ceiling beams with stops and two alcoves with semi-elliptical heads. C19 stair with octagonal balusters and curved newel; six-panelled doors.

Reasons for Listing

Included despite loss of windows, bargeboards etc, as important local farmhouse and for historic interest of strong connections with John Williams. Group Value with farm range below.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.