This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3246 / 53°19'28"N
Longitude: -3.8385 / 3°50'18"W
OS Eastings: 277645
OS Northings: 382431
OS Grid: SH776824
Mapcode National: GBR 1YMZ.SY
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.0PFN
Entry Name: Former St George's School
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 3395
Building Class: Education
Location: Aligned with road, about 80m SW of St George's Church.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Originally St George's National School. Built in 1846 (thus pre-dating development of resort of Llandudno, and enlarged in 1854. Shown in a lithograph by N and N Hanhart of I856. In 1846, the Commissioners of the Inquiry into the State of Education in Wales reported that the only master (at £21 per annum) was a former farmer with a poor knowledge of English; fees were then 1d weekly. Some early C20 additions to rear.
School. Stone walls (rendered in corner blocks). Slate roofs. Plain single-storey building comprising several wings with gabled roofs at right angles to each other. Stone transom and mullion windows. Taller wing on corner with School Lane has smooth render and wide gable facing Church Walks (NW), narrow single light in apex of gable and large four light mullion and transom window below. In south west return elevation of wing (facing School Lane) there are two identical small cross wings, one at the front and the other at the rear; three mullion and transom windows between, and to rear, later block, stepped down. The front wall of the front cross-wing has a Tudor-arched doorway and a single light window. Against the NE return elevation of this corner wing there is a further smooth-rendered cross wing at the front of the return elevation and another cross-wing towards the rear, to which is joined another wing, on NW to SE axis, with NW gable lit by a 3-light stone mullion window with a single light window above. At NE end there is a wing of later Cl9 date with three windows in front wall.
Mid C19 church school, retaining its overall form and character, built to serve the old pre-resort village of Llandudno.
Other nearby listed buildings