This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.327 / 53°19'37"N
Longitude: -3.8362 / 3°50'10"W
OS Eastings: 277807
OS Northings: 382695
OS Grid: SH778826
Mapcode National: GBR 1YNZ.82
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.1MJS
Entry Name: Bodlondeb Castle, including front steps and walls, and former Caersalem Chapel to rear
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 3398
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On corner with Bodlondeb Hill.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built as a house in the 1890s for Thomas P Davies. The block to the rear was formerly Salem chapel (Wesleyan). A lease was granted for the chapel in 1837, one of the trustees being Joseph Tamblyn, a mines engineer from Cornwall. The chapel became a school whose most prominent pupil was William Morris Hughes, who became Prime Minister of Australia from 1916 to 1923. Hughes had come to Llandudno with his family in 1868 (aged 4), and lived at Bryn Rosa in Abbey Road; emigrated to Australia 1884.
Gothic villa of two storeys and attic; snecked rock-faced stone, bathstone banding and dressings; slate roofs. Front (SE) elevation of four bays including semi octagonal corner bay at South west end. The three NE bays have an embattled parapet which is stepped up over centre bay to form a gable; in the centre bay, there is a narrow sash window without glazing bars to attic storey, a canted three light bay window with stone canopy on first floor and, on the ground floor, a doorway with pointed moulded head and semi-octagonal buttresses. A double flight of steps with stone walled balustrade leads up from Church walks to landing before doorway, garden wall of stone piers along Church Walks. Each flanking bay has a sash window with moulded architrave on first floor and a paired sash window on ground floor. Semi octagonal corner bay with large sash lights on first and ground floors and attic storey with narrow sash lights; above attic windows, blind arrow loops, mock machicolation, cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet. South west elevation of six bays; third bay with wide projection, with gable over attic window and with storeyed bow window to first and ground floors. In north east side elevation there are two crow-stepped gables; at right angles, further crow-stepped gable to rear 3-window wing.
To the North West of the main house is further wing facing Llwynon Gardens, the former Caer Salem Chapel. Two storey structure with stone rubble walls and hipped slate roof; NW elevation of two storeys, three bays with modern transomed casements and with gabled centre doorway (blocked) with plaque in gable recording William Morris Hughes.
Interior is said to retain first floor landing above present lounge in the form of a loggia of seven bays, with marble balustrade and with segmental headed arches supported on marble columns with ornate capitals. Staircase with turned marble balusters leads down to vast ground floor chamber or lounge with fireplace with canopy and with coffered ceiling with large glazed light in centre; stained glass in upper lights of windows in Drawing Room, Dining Room one bedroom.
Ambitious and striking building with extra interest from chapel/school to rear and historic connection with William Morris Hughes.
Other nearby listed buildings