This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3266 / 53°19'35"N
Longitude: -3.8331 / 3°49'59"W
OS Eastings: 278010
OS Northings: 382646
OS Grid: SH780826
Mapcode National: GBR 1YNZ.Y6
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.2NZ3
Entry Name: Capel Tabernacl (Tabernacle Welsh Baptist Chapel), including forecourt walls and railings
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 3434
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On corner with Llewelyn Avenue.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Replaced earlier chapel in 1870s. Additions of c1902, perhaps by G A Humphreys, architect to Mostyn Estate. The first Tabernacle chapel in Llandudno, dating from 1815 was itself rebuilt in 1835. A plaque records that the chapel's minister, the Rev Lewis Valentine was one of the three Welsh nationalist activists who made an arson attack on the RAF Bombing School at Penyberth, Pwllheli on 8 September 1936.
Chapel in Classical style. Cement rendered elevations, painted; slate roof. Entrance faces S. Central portion of entrance elevation with broken triangular pediment with modillions, with three tall semi-circular headed windows with pilasters, capitals, archivolts and keystones on upper floor; band at cill level ornamented with paterae and centre panel bearing date 1875; ground floor rusticated with two semi-circular headed doorways with moulded archivolts, keystones and pilasters. Each end bay of main elevation is slightly recessed and has a sloping parapet rising to meet centre pediment; eaves cornice with modillions and pilasters; each bay with a blind paired semi-circular headed opening on first floor with moulded archivolts, keystones and pilasters and with a paired segmental headed opening each on ground floor. South-west elevation of give bays; fenestration of southern bay similar to fenestration of end bays of front elevation; four northern bays with round-headed sash windows with radiating tracery both above and below. North-east side elevation similar to south-west elevation except for single storey early C20 addition in richer Baroque style with hipped roof masked by crowning entablature. Projecting porch at southern end with rusticated base and with doorway with shouldered architrave in each side wall; porch set behind Ionic portico set on a curve. From south to north, north-east side elevation firstly with a sash window three panes wide with architrave and a cornice on consoles; secondly, with a projecting rusticated bay pierced by a large semi-circular headed window with archivolt, giant keystone and broken segmental pediment on consoles; thirdly, with window as in first bay; fourthly, bay with a round headed rusticated doorway with Ionic porch; fifth bay has a canted bay window with rusticated pilasters and sash lights with glazing bars and horns. At northern end of north-east elevation and behind single storey side wing, there is a two-storey wing with hipped slate roof with modillions and angel pilasters, three round-headed sash windows with archivolts, pilasters and keystones.
Forecourt to chapel is enclosed by dwarf stone rubble wall with ashlar coping; ashlar gate piers with coping in form of four gablets. Iron gates have uprights rising alternately to above lock and top rails; fleur-de-lys finials.
C19 chapel on important site in upper Mostyn Street, with particularly good elevation to Mostyn Street. Group value with adjacent listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings