This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3229 / 53°19'22"N
Longitude: -3.8227 / 3°49'21"W
OS Eastings: 278692
OS Northings: 382212
OS Grid: SH786822
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZR0.6K
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.7QXZ
Entry Name: Mostyn Crescent comprising: The Marine Hotel & Nos 1-13 (Consec) including forecourt walls
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 3458
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Between Neville Crescent and Gloddaeth Crescent, Marine Hotel on corner with Marine Hotel.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The large-scale development of Llandudno as a seaside resort originats from the late 1840s. In 1846, Owen Williams, born on Anglesey, but in business at Liverpool is said to have proposed a resort to John Williams agent of the Mostyn family who had sponsored the enclosure of the common land below the Great Orme. A fisherman's hut below the Great Orme was the meeting place where Owen Williams and The Hon T E M Lloyd Mostyn MP developed the idea. Plans were drawn up by Wehnert & Ashdown, architects and surveyors, of Charing Cross, London. Leases were offered for sale on 29 August 1849.
The Marine Hotel was formerly the Adelphi, and damaged by fire on 9 October 1920. In 1890, Queen Elisabeth of Roumania stayed at the hotel; she wrote novels under the pen-name of Carmen Sylva, and there are references to her in street names of the town. Her descriptions of Wales as a "beautiful haven of peace" translated into Welsh became Llandudno's motto, "Hardd, Hafan, Hedd".
Mid to later C19 terrace. The Marine Hotel is at W end, with Nos 1-13 extending to E; the Marine Hotel has extended into Nos 1-3, and also 4-6.
North elevation of Marine Hotel to Mostyn Crescent: three pedimented dormers. Slate hipped roof. Sash glazing. Stuccoed walls. Eaves cornice with modillions and dentils and band. Quoins. Three segmental headed sash windows on third floor. Second floor with three triple sashes with pilasters, tiled band at window heads and cornices. Centre first floor bay with a triple window with pilasters and entablature with dentils. Each end first floor bay with a canted three-light bay window which descends to basement. Modern glazed verandah against ground floor. Stuccoed forecourt wall with balustrade with turned balusters; piers.
The W elevation of Hotel, facing Vaughan Street is in same style. Eight windows in all; pedimented dormers (right 2 dormers in steeply pitched roof); segmental sashes to top floor; on 2nd floor triple, double, and single sash windows in similar style to front. First and ground floors have, from L, splayed bay window descending to basement; broad bay with corner pilasters with entrance on ground floor; tripartite window with pediment with splayed bay below, narrow bay with window on each floor, splayed bay window descending to basement, narrow window on each floor, tripartite window with pediment with splayed bay below.
Nos 1 (now part of Marine Hotel): four storeys, two bays. Slate roofs. Small sash widows on third floor with flanking brackets descending from eaves and with stringcourse at cill level. Sash windows with moulded architraves on second floor. On first floor, a wide storeyed canted bay window of four lights to left hand which descends to ground floor; to right hand, a large rectangular bay window. On the ground floor, a modern glazed veranda common with veranda to main building of hotel. Stuccoed forecourt walls as before main building.
Nos 2 and 3 (also part of Marine Hotel): third and second floors as in No 1. In each left hand first floor bay there is a storeyed canted three-light bay window descending to basement. In each right hand first floor bay there is a sash window with moulded architrave and cornice on consoles; in each right hand ground floor bay a flight of steps leads up to a round-headed doorway with panelled spandrils and pilasters.
Nos 4, 5, & 6: now also part of marine Hotel (formerly the Regent Court Hotel). Modern glazing to top floor. Similar to nos 2 and 3. No 4 with dwarf stuccoed forecourt wall and one pier. Dwarf forecourt wall with balustrade; two piers.
No 7: similar to nos 2 to 6 (consec): Dwarf stuccoed forecourt wall and two piers. Modern door.
No 8: Hotel Penelope; similar to nos 2 to 7 (consec): Retains ironwork balcony before first floor right hand window.
No 9 similar to nos 2 to 8 (consec): Low stuccoed forecourt wall with baluster with turned balusters; two piers flanking entrance and one at right hand end.
No 10: Belvedere Hotel; similar to nos 2 to 10 (consec), but with modern glazing.
No 11: Glen Ormes Hotel; similar to nos 2 to 10 (consec). Modern glazing; third floor windows with pointed heads. Iron railings between nos 11 and 12.
Nos 12 and 13 project forward. Different style to rest of terrace. Three bays, with No 12, Kinmel Hotel occupying right hand 2 bays, No 13, Shelbourne, occupying L bay. Four storeys. Centre bay projects further still and is surmounted by a triangular pediment. Modillion eaves cornice. Quoins at ends below second floor. On third floor there are plain segmental headed sash windows with stringcourse across front sill level, one in centre bay and two in each end bay. On the second floor there is a tall triple sash window to each bay. In the first floor centre bay there is a three-light window with cornice on consoles. On the ground floor there is a prostyle stuccoed porch with pilasters and modillion cornice. Left return of No 13 of 3 bays; 5 camber-headed sashes to top floor; 3 paired round-headed windows to second floor; on first floor central single-light with cornice flanked by 2-light windows with pediments. Modern single storey extension. Iron railings between nos 12 and 13. No 13 with low stuccoed dwarf wall with balustraded parapet with turned balusters.
Mid C19 building forming part of the sea front, the most important part of the planned Victorian seaside resort of Llandudno. Group Value with adjacent listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings