This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3181 / 53°19'5"N
Longitude: -3.7784 / 3°46'42"W
OS Eastings: 281625
OS Northings: 381603
OS Grid: SH816816
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z12.S8
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.XVXN
Entry Name: Former Chapel at Penrhyn Old Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1951
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 3470
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back about 100m N of road; to E of Penrhyn Old Hall.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably C16. Formerly the chapel to Penrhyn Old Hall; before the Reformation, the chapel here was described as "Libera Capella Beatae Maria de Penrhyn."
The Pughs of Penrhyn, who lived at Penrhyn Old Hall, made the locality a stronghold of the Roman Catholic religion in the times of its adversity in C16 and C17s and used their chapel to celebrate the Roman Catholic Mass. The chapel became a derelict farm building, but was restored to religious use in the early C20.
The building is again now roofless and covered by undergrowth.
Walls of limestone rubble with red sandstone quoins. West end has rebuilt doorway with a two-centred arch, above which there is an inserted (C20?) trefoil-headed stone relief of the Crucifixion. Above this in turn there is a round window with a scroll moulding of probably C17 date. Two lancets to S and one to E are probably original; two windows on N side later insertions probably of early C20.
Late medieval chapel. Group value with other listed buildings at Penrhyn Old Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings