This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3146 / 53°18'52"N
Longitude: -3.8072 / 3°48'25"W
OS Eastings: 279700
OS Northings: 381267
OS Grid: SH797812
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZV3.KJ
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.HY89
Entry Name: North Wales Medical Centre
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 3479
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: In extensive grounds above Queen's Road, with entrances on Queen's Road, and Fferm Bach Road.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Purpose-built 1902 to 1904 as the Lady Forester Convalescent Home; designed
by E B L’Anson. Became private medical centre at end of C20.
Former convalescent home. Symmetrical front elevation facing W; central block with oblique side wings. Walls faced with limestone and with sandstone ashlar dressings. Mullion and transom windows; slate roofs. Two storeys and attic except for centre three bays of centre wing which are of three storeys and attic with separate hipped slate roof. Centre bay of central block projects and is in the form of a tower with parapet and machicolation and with crowning spire; three-light mullioned windows to third, second and first floors, first and second floor windows with transoms; first and ground floors project further, first floor bay with segmental pediment over; rounded headed entrance to ground floor doorway, flanked by half columns. To each side of centre bay of central block there is a bay with half-timbered gable over attic storey, transomed window of our rounded lights on second floor, and, on first and ground floors, a storeyed canted bay window. The two outer bays at each end of central block each of two storeys and attic with crowning gable; large transomed attic windows; each inner bay with a two-light transom window on both first and ground floors and each outer bay with a storeyed canted bay window on both first and ground floors. In the angle between the centre and side wings, there is a very narrow bay; beyond that, innermost bay of each side wing projects forward with a gable; transomed attic window; transomed and mullioned windows of four lights on both ground and first floors; middle bays of the side wings are both narrow and recessed with a small gable over attic window and with a two-light transomed window on both ground and first floors; against the ground floor of the northern wing there is a loggia. The outermost bay of each side wing also projects forward with a crowning gable; transomed window to attic storey; four-light transom and mullion window on first and ground floors; Northern wing with four-bay loggia with semi-elliptical arches against ground floor and basement. Gable end of south side wing with a three-light window on both attic and first floors and a three-bay arcade against ground floor. Gable end of northern wing with a two-storey building against north gable end.
Interior has large dining room with hammer beam roof, and with doorways in entrance hall with architraves and pediments.
Grand Edwardian convalescent home with flamboyant design, visible from much of Llandudno area.
Other nearby listed buildings