This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2447 / 53°14'40"N
Longitude: -3.8431 / 3°50'35"W
OS Eastings: 277109
OS Northings: 373546
OS Grid: SH771735
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZLX.SL
Mapcode Global: WH545.YP4X
Entry Name: Llangelynin New Church
Listing Date: 4 December 1989
Last Amended: 28 December 1995
Source ID: 3642
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on the E side of a lane about 1km SW of the B5106 on the way to Rowen; situated in a walled churchyard surrounded by mature trees, with the W tower sited downhill towards the Afon Gyffin.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Dated 1840 (internal tablet over W door), though this refers to a remodelling of an earlier, probably late Georgian church; the inscription reads: `This church was rebuilt and enlarged by Evan Lloyd, Rector, in 1840, and in 1903 it was restored and rearranged by George Barker'. The 1840 work was by Thomas Jones, architect of Chester; the 1903 restoration was to designs by H.L North, architect of Llanfairfechan.
Simple lancet style Gothic. Rubble construction with dressed quoins, surrounds and string-courses; shallow-pitched slate roof, feathered out slightly at the eaves. Squat, three storey W tower turning octagonal with stepped, triangular facets over simple first-floor lancets with linked cornice and hoodmoulds. Zigzag hoodmoulds to bellstorey with plain bell-openings and blank diagonals; cornice below crenellated parapet. Stepped, pointed opening in red brick to boarded W door with strap hinges.
5-bay continuous nave and chancel with symmetrical sides. These have small, centrally-placed, gabled vestries flanked by 2 large chamfered lancets on each side. 3 lancets to E end, the string-course stepped-up at this point.
The churchyard has slate headstones and tablet tombs, some railed, mostly dating from the C19. One especially fine railed slate-carved obelisk with finial to Ann Owen (d.1848) and Richard Owen (d.1870).
Very simple interior with shallow timber roof trusses, alternately with side braced collars and metal tie-rods; tapered king posts. Wide round arch from W porch; corbelled squinches in side tower over first-floor windows. Original wooden furnishings plus a Georgian polished marble font with baluster shaft (presumably from the old church). 2 stained glass windows by Jones and Willis, of London, Birmingham and Liverpool.
A good lancet-style church by T. Jones with unusual W tower.
Other nearby listed buildings