This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.141 / 53°8'27"N
Longitude: -4.2769 / 4°16'36"W
OS Eastings: 247800
OS Northings: 362845
OS Grid: SH478628
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.65K6
Mapcode Global: WH43F.89NX
Entry Name: ,3,Market Street,Walled town,Caernarfon,GWYNEDD,LL55 1RT
Listing Date: 22 May 1967
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 3891
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Adjoining the N side of the Conservative Club.
Locality: Walled town
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
A mid C18 house said to have formerly borne a rainwater head dated 1755. In the C19 it became the Drum Inn, the front was roughcast in the late C19. Converted to a surgery in the late C20.
A Georgian 2½ storey 3-window house of scribed roughcast wall and renewed slate roof. A central fielded-panel door has a plain overlight, and a doorcase with consoles and cornice, with lozenges inscribed in the pilasters. Windows are late C19 4-pane horned sashes in original openings. Gabled dormers incorporate small-pane opening lights.
The rendered rear elevation has a single-storey projection and 3 skylights.
The original plan form of central entrance hall with rooms to the R and L and stairs at the rear is still discernible but the plan is otherwise much altered. The full-height dog-leg stair has turned balusters and square newels.
Listed for its architectural interest as a house retaining Georgian external character and some internal detail, a relatively unusual survival of a house from before significant redevelopment of Caernarfon beginning in the late C18, and for its contribution to the historic integrity of the walled town.
Other nearby listed buildings