This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1388 / 53°8'19"N
Longitude: -4.2738 / 4°16'25"W
OS Eastings: 247999
OS Northings: 362596
OS Grid: SH479625
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.6696
Mapcode Global: WH43F.BC3L
Entry Name: Courtenay's Bistro
Listing Date: 29 May 1968
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 3924
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In a terraced overlooking Slate Quay, at the junction with Little Chapel Street.
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
7-9 Segontium Terrace was built in the early C19 probably as a single development and is shown on the 1810 and 1834 town maps, but the houses never had a unified design. 5-9 Segontium Terrace represents the early development of middle-class urban housing outside the town centre and the site was chosen for its view over the Afon Seiont at a time before the full development of Slate Quay as a port.
A Georgian house of 3 storeys and 3 bays, with a rendered front and slate roof. Openings are offset to the L side. The central doorway has a doorcase with fluted pilasters, and plain consoles to an entablature. A fielded panel door has radial-glazed lights. The central bay has blind windows, while the outer bays have windows replaced in original openings and are shorter in the upper storey.
Iron railings in front of the basement steps have spear finials. In the basement is a small-pane window to the R and blocked opening to the L, and a doorway in the central bay. The rear wall is roughcast.
Listed as an ambitious urban development prominently sited above Slate Quay. Notwithstanding some loss of its original unified design, the terrace contributes to the strong Georgian tradition in Caernarfon and documents the growing prosperity of the town in the early C19 in the wake of the development of Caernarfon as a major N Wales port.
Other nearby listed buildings