This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2274 / 53°13'38"N
Longitude: -4.1286 / 4°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 258004
OS Northings: 372150
OS Grid: SH580721
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.0RL3
Mapcode Global: WH547.K47N
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Last Amended: 2 August 1988
Source ID: 3951
Building Class: Civil
Location: Below the Cathedral; N side elevation to Deiniol Road and outbuildings to E.
Built-Up Area: Bangor
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Formerly the Bishop’s Palace. An L-plan structure of ca 1500 was doubled in size ca 1600 forming the present basically U-plan shape; mid C18 central cross range to N and major additions dated 1810 by Bishop Majendie. Some alterations in 1960 renovation. 2-storey and attic; cement render elevations with plinth, slate roofs and boarded eaves.
The 6-window S front has asymmetrical projecting side ranges, formerly with polygonal end to left. The 2-stroey, jettied and gabled porch to left formerly opened on to the cross passage; segmental arched and pilastered entrance with double doors. The later part to the right is slightly advanced. Small pane sash windows, some paired or tripartite; small pane attic windows, 1 midway up the roof pitch.
The left side has the twin gable end of the 1810 NW extension; 2 Gothic windows in former doorways and round headed small pane windows above. Similar glazing to
3-window N elevation, including French windows with freestone surrounds and central slate plaque reading: "Dominus Gulielimus Episcopus Aedificavit AD - 1810". Set back to left is a single storey flat roof range extending the remaining width of the building including porch below the 3-window central cross range; small pane sash windows, Gothic to ground floor. Similar details to E end with wide 2-window gable and tall chimney stack; attached service ranges.
The interior retains openwell staircase hall dated 1753 to oval ceiling rose; turned balusters, Ionic newell posts, carved tread ends and panelled dado. Later cast iron supporting column with acanthus leaves and spiral tendrill. Council chamger (1st floor) has segmental vault with thinly detailed Adamesque plaster-work and Gothic ironwork ventilator. 2 trusses visible from Chief Executive’s Office, infilled with studded partition and 1 collar truss with arched branches; another is said to be of hammerbeam type.
Group value with St Deiniol’s Cathedral.
Other nearby listed buildings