This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1247 / 53°7'28"N
Longitude: -4.1187 / 4°7'7"W
OS Eastings: 258327
OS Northings: 360707
OS Grid: SH583607
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.71ZJ
Mapcode Global: WH54M.PQYF
Entry Name: Former Hospital and boundary walls
Listing Date: 7 February 1989
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 4151
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Situated on level site above the north-east side of Llyn Padarn with spectacular mountain views; lies to north-west of the slate museum from which it is reached by a long drive; also approached over C
Locality: Gilfach Ddu
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1860 and opened as Dinorwic Slate Quarry Hospital in 1876. This was a hospital for company employees and their families financed by the men’s own contributions; it provided free medical care, a weekly payment during sickness, pension and burial expenses. One of the earliest X-ray units in North Wales operated from here and general surgery continued until 1940s when the hospital became a first-aid centre; the hospital closed in 1962 and reopened in 1978, following restoration to its C19 appearance, as a museum, in which use it remains. The central entrance formerly had a gabled porch.
Plain classical-style 2-storey, 3-bay centre section with flanking single-storey 3-bay wings. Snecked rubblestone with tooled granite quoins, door and window surrounds with keystones and chamfered plinth; slate roofs have deep bracketed eaves, plain bargeboards and integral end stacks with tall octagonal stone shafts, in groups of 4 to main range and single to wings. Main range has cross gable with simple finial and blind attic roundel. Recessed horned 16-paned sash windows and central entrance with panelled half-glazed doors. Slightly set back to either side the single-storey 3-bay ranges also have 16-paned sashes, those to right section unhorned; panelled basement door in gable end of left section. Rear elevations of both side ranges have roundels and sash windows; lean-to at rear of left range with sash windows on right. Cross range on rear of centre range has small-paned sash windows and panelled doors to each side and round-headed windows to its rear gable end. Retaining boundary wall to front forecourt has iron railings with spearhead finials; high revetment wall at rear.
Museum interior displayed and interpreted to public as C19 quarry hospital. Half-glazed inner doors in central hall within a classical pilastered frame. Original twin porcelain basins in operating theatre have brass taps and much of the functional furniture was made in the quarry workshops. Relocated slate fireplace with astrological carving by Thomas Jones is dated 1837. Arched opening off central corridor.
Included at II* as an imposing classically-designed C19 quarry company hospital retaining much of its original character and detailing, an unusual and important building illustrating a significant aspect of the quarry's social structure and history.
Other nearby listed buildings