This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9177 / 52°55'3"N
Longitude: -4.4423 / 4°26'32"W
OS Eastings: 235889
OS Northings: 338384
OS Grid: SH358383
Mapcode National: GBR 59.N7C4
Mapcode Global: WH449.QXTK
Entry Name: Llannerch
Listing Date: 19 October 1971
Last Amended: 8 February 1999
Source ID: 4329
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farm lies on a minor road leading off the road between Llannor and Pentreuchaf.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The house is substantially of the C17, with an inscribed internal date of 1687, built by Richard and Katherine Madryn, members of a younger branch of the Madryn family of Madrun, near Edern, Llwyn, to replace an earlier house on the site. Richard became High Sheriff of Caernarfonshire in 1695 and died in 1716. The property was inherited by Elizabeth Jones, widow of the rector of Llandurog, and she left it to a cousin in 1726. A list of windows closed or altered in 1727 survives. The house is shown on the Estate Map of c1780 in the Univisity Library, Bangor. Latterly it was held by Rev Dr Robert Wynne of the Garthllewin estate (Denbighs) to 1913. Probably partly reordered in the mid C19 and altered in the 1990s.
A large farmhouse built with stone rubble with large quoins, old irregular-sized slate roofs. Two storeys and attics. The main block is of 3 bays, with a cellar at the SE end, now filled, an added rear stair projection, and a service cross wing at the NW end of two separate builds, forming an 'L'-plan. The main front, facing SW, is of 3 window bays, rendered and whitewashed, with a central door within a small gabled porch. All the 16-pane over 4-pane sash windows now replaced. The rear of this range has a lean-to roof over the stair, and a C20 porch over the rear door opened through a former window. Gable end stacks, that terminating the N wing corbelled out. The cross wing has its gables built up in early brick including the gable stacks. Pigeon nest holes occur in the E gable spandrel. Irregular windows, and a 2-storey lean-to at the NE end, against the main range, containing the dairy and room over.
The interior is said to have had post and panel partitions recently covered over, and a good dog-leg stair, also boxed in and the upper newel cut off. Chamfered ceiling beams, but a partially exposed beam in the main range SE room, now a passage, has the inscription RM KM (fleur) 1687. The fleur is believed to be the badge of Collwyn ap Tangno. A further inscription is recorded by RCAHM on the passage partition, now not visible. Fireplaces also boxed in. The cross wing is now without any internal floors.
Included as an important surviving C17 gentry house retaining its early layout and fabric (including some early brickwork) and some significant original interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings