History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pen-y-bryn

A Grade II Listed Building in Nefyn, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9246 / 52°55'28"N

Longitude: -4.5655 / 4°33'55"W

OS Eastings: 227634

OS Northings: 339436

OS Grid: SH276394

Mapcode National: GBR 54.MTNR

Mapcode Global: WH447.VR39

Entry Name: Pen-y-bryn

Listing Date: 19 October 1971

Last Amended: 18 June 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 4370

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated to the W of a drive running N off Lon Rhos some 400m S of the centre of Edern.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Pwllheli

Community: Nefyn

Community: Nefyn

Locality: Edern

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Morfa Nefyn

History

C17 farmhouse deeds of which are said to date from 1603. There is an inserted plaque above the door dated 1790 with initials of John and Mary Jones. In 1839, the Edern Tithe Map shows Pen-y-Bryn as a holding of some 30 acres (12ha) owned by Margaret Jones and Evan Roberts and occupied by the latter.

Exterior

Farmhouse, roughly coursed rubble to front and rendered to sides and rear. Grouted roof of old small slates to front with original ashlar chimney stacks at each gable, square and capped. Two storey, three window front. Small gabled half dormers with coped gables, 2 right of centre, one left of centre as facade is offset to right. Dormer windows are leaded casements with stone slab lintels. Ground floor windows altered to 6-pane casement doors. Boarded door to centre right below central first floor window. Plaque inscribed IM I 1790 with initials. Gable end to left has single pane window on ground floor. To right is C20 single storey extension, slate roof to front, flat roof to rear. C20 front, side and rear doors with C20 fenestration. Rear of main house has modern slates down to catslide roof which joins onto an early gabled outbuilding to right. C20 casement windows. Roughcast walls.

Interior

Not inspected but said to have hewn stop-chamfered curved beam above wide fireplace, chamfered beams and curved collars to roof trusses.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a rare example of a C17 farmhouse with well-preserved front elevation.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Edern Presbyterian Chapel
    Situated on the S side of the B4417, to the E of the crossroads some 450m SW of Pont Edern.
  • II Church of St Edern
    Situated to the E of Lon Llan, some 370m SE of Pont Edern in Edern village.
  • II Factory Cottage
    Situated in the centre of Edern on the N side of Lon Llan, some 90m S of Pont Edern.
  • II Glan Afon
    Situated in the centre of Edern on the N side of the B4417, some 50m S of Pont Edern.
  • II Pont Edern
    Carrying the B4417 over the Afon Geirch just N of the centre of Edern.
  • II Pont Glan-rhyd
    Situated approximately 1.3km SE of the centre of Edern and some 300m N of the crossroads at Glanrhyd.
  • II Milestone
    Situated on the N side of the B4417, approximately 1km SW of Edern Presbyterian Chapel.
  • II Capel Moreia
    Situated on the N side of Lon Uchaf approximately 180m SE of the crossroads with the B4417 in the centre of Morfa Nefyn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.