This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8403 / 52°50'25"N
Longitude: -4.1139 / 4°6'50"W
OS Eastings: 257710
OS Northings: 329074
OS Grid: SH577290
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.T33X
Mapcode Global: WH55Z.SV5X
Entry Name: Ty Mawr
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 4798
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set at the NE side of the main road through the village of Llanfair which forms a loop off the A496. Ty Mawr is to L of the entrance to the Church of St Mary.
Built-Up Area: Harlech
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Probably C17 in origin but late C18/early C19 in its present form. There is a tradition that the Ty Mawr was medieval in origin and that Gerald of Wales and Archbishop Baldwin of Canterbury stayed there during their travels through Wales in 1188. The house formed part of the Llanfair Uchaf estate, one of the main property owners in the area, owned by the Humphreys Owen family; owned and occupied by John Owen in the mid C19, as recorded in the tithe apportionment of the parish, 1849.
Probably late C18 or early C19 2-storey house forming a T-shape on plan. Built of rubble masonry, the principal face of coursed, roughly dressed stone. Slate roof with stone copings, broad gable stacks with capping. The principal elevation faces the road to SW, a 3-window range with central doorway under a shallow overlight; window are 16-pane horned sashes with slate sills. Similarly detailed windows to rear.
Interior not inspected at the time of the survey.
Listed as a good and well preserved late C18 or early C19 house which retains good original character. Forms a group at the centre of the village of Llanfair with the adjacent church and Ty''n Llan.
Other nearby listed buildings