This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4235 / 53°25'24"N
Longitude: -4.4453 / 4°26'43"W
OS Eastings: 237610
OS Northings: 394640
OS Grid: SH376946
Mapcode National: GBR HMDN.8J2
Mapcode Global: WH41Z.P6CT
Entry Name: Church of St Padrig
Listing Date: 12 May 1970
Last Amended: 26 October 2000
Source ID: 5356
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In an isolated coastal location NW of the village of Cemaes Bay. The church is reached by a country road leading N off the A5025 E of Cemaes Bay.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Locality: Cemaes Bay
Traditional County: Anglesey
The present church may have C12 origins: the font is C12, and the church is listed in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. The nave and chancel represent two distinct phases of construction marked by a straight joint, with offset in the S wall. The chancel arch may be early C14, and if the chancel post-dates the nave (as appears likely) then the fabric of the nave may be C12 or C13. The chancel E window is C16, but fenestration elsewhere is largely the result of C19 restoration. Some restoration work took place in 1812, and the porch was added when further work was carried out in 1840. In 1884 a complete restoration took place at a cost of £700. This was financed by Henry, 3rd Lord Stanley of Alderley, who had converted to the Muslim faith and gave money to local churches on the understanding that restoration work reflected elements of his own faith. The coloured glass, sanctuary tiles and PASTER RONUS mosaic date from this time. In 1985 £15,000 was raised to restore the old church, which had fallen into some disuse following the building of the new church in Cemaes in 1865. Shortly after the church was re-opened a large part of the church, particularly the roof structure, was destroyed by fire, thought to have been caused by vandals. More funds were raised and the church rebuilt, it was re-consecrated in 1987.
Simple rural church, rectangular in plan with gabled SW porch. Built of rubble masonry with sandstone dressings. Modern slate roof with W gable bellcot and stone, circular cross finial at E gable. Although the nave and chancel are roofed as one, they are clearly of separate constructional phases, and there is a marked offset in the S wall. The C16 chancel east window is of 3 pointed-arched lights in a pointed-arched frame with partial hoodmould remaining. Other windows are the result of C19 restoration work: N windows are of 3 round-headed lights in a round arched frame, as are the windows in the S wall of the chancel; the westernmost being narrower. The S wall of the nave has a rectangular window of 3 leaded lights. The entrance to the SW porch is flanked by C17 gravestones, it has a pointed-arch and is hung with wrought iron gates; alternate tall and short rails rising up towards centre, with ascending top rail, tall rails with arrowhead finials. Arched inner doorway has boarded door with floriate hinges.
The nave has a 3-bay roof, the chancel a 4-bay roof, both with exposed queen post trusses with braces down to wallposts on plain corbels (largely rebuilt following fire damage). Nave and chancel are divided by a 2-centred pointed chancel arch rising from an advanced springing course. Midway along the chancel is a tall later C19 screen with open panels with Perpendicular traceried heads, and moulded rail with floriate bosses. The sanctuary is raised by one step with a moulded rail on shaped balusters, the altar is raised by a further step; both are floored with marble from nearby Mynydd Mechell quarry. The reredos is of blue glass tiles of various geometric and floriate designs, by Powells of Whitefriars in London. To the right of the altar is the PASTER RONUS mosaic: an 'opus sectile' mosaic of Christ the shepherd set within weathered tracery including a plinth carved with the symbol of a serpent. The coloured glass in the church is of geometric designs and patterns, reflecting the Islamic influence favoured by the church's patron in the late C19. Along the rear (W) wall of the nave are a number of C17 and C18 memorial tablets and gravestones, as well as an ancient ICHTUS stone. Also to the rear of the church is a C12 gritstone font with low relief arcade of round-headed arches on pilasters with square imposts, in each panel is a whorl or flowers; the circular bowl is set on a modern octagonal plinth.
Listed as a simple rural medieval church retaining much of its early fabric and vernacular character. The interior of the church is particularly notable for the richly coloured stained glass mosaic, and tiled reredos, said to reflect the Muslim sympathies of its patron in the later C19.
Other nearby listed buildings