History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Dairy of Plas Newydd

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2042 / 53°12'14"N

Longitude: -4.2205 / 4°13'13"W

OS Eastings: 251785

OS Northings: 369755

OS Grid: SH517697

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.217D

Mapcode Global: WH546.4QHH

Entry Name: Old Dairy of Plas Newydd

Listing Date: 30 January 1968

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5460

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the western edge of the grounds of Plas Newydd, a short distance from the A4080, opposite West Lodge. A wide lawn leads down to the stable block and Plas Newydd.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Estate

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Built probably late C19, in Gothick style. The building is not shown on the Tithe Map of 1841, or the Map of the Demense of Plas Newydd dated 1862. Now used as a tea-room for visitors to the National Trust property of Plas Newydd. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. In 1812 the estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son; Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, and his descendants inherited both estate and title. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19; by 1873 the estate is recorded as being 3,848 ha in size, including scattered lands and land around the mansion of Plas Newydd.

Exterior

U-shaped in plan, central range faces E with wings forming courtyard to W, single storey with coursed rock-faced block walls, in Gothick style. Main elevation to E, symmetrically planned with central entrance flanked by octagonal buttress piers, with 2 windows either side and octagonal buttresses at angles. Plinth and eaves band. Two small cupolas on central range. Hipped roof of large slates. Projecting chimney breast to W end of S wing, with embattled stack. Internal stack on E end of N wall. Cast-iron Gothick lattice windows with lozenge panes and ventilator grille, flat-headed lintels with keystone. Doors on both sides of S and central wing, and on S side of N wing, with rectangular fanlights. Cast-iron ventilators set into wall. One original cast-iron rainwater head on NE corner, with 'A' and crown over. Lean-to addition to gable of N wing, and covered area.

Interior

Tiled milking parlour in centre, now the tea-room. King-post roof trusses and square purlins.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an estate service building, retaining its late C19 Gothick character, and forming part of a series of buildings on the Plas Newydd estate.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.