History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2149 / 53°12'53"N

Longitude: -4.2114 / 4°12'41"W

OS Eastings: 252433

OS Northings: 370928

OS Grid: SH524709

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.1HGQ

Mapcode Global: WH546.8GT8

Entry Name: Victoria Cottages

Listing Date: 20 April 1998

Last Amended: 20 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5467

Building Class: Education

Location: Set at an angle to a junction along the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c.1km SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Locality: Aberbraint

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Built c1833 as a school house, on land provided by the Rev. Henry Rowlands of Plas Gwyn and with a donation of £80 from the Duchess of Kent on her visit to the Beaumaris Eisteddfod in 1832. Named after Queen Victoria who planted a tree in the grounds during one of her visits to the Island. Shown on the Tithe Map of 1844. In 1851 the school was merged with the Plas Newydd Charity School and then flourished until the establishment of a National School at Llanfairpwll in 1871, after which it was closed in 1872. The building was then converted into three cottages and has subsequently been altered again to form the two cottages of its present layout. Now owned by the Plas Newydd estate and probably re-modelled by the estate since it has the casement windows and octagonal stacks characteristic of C19 work on the estate. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. By 1780 the Bayly family owned a total of 100,000 acres (40,500 ha) in North Wales, Ireland, Devon and Cornwall, including much mineral wealth including the copper mine at Parys Mountain. The Plas Newydd estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son, in 1812. Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, but chiefly lived at Beaudesert in Staffordshire. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19. The estate is recorded as being 9,620 acres (3,896 ha) in size in 1873, including scattered lands and land around the mansion of Plas Newydd.

Reasons for Listing

In its overall form, the building retains its early C19 character, its massing then exploited to picturesque effect in the later C19 remodelling, to form a well-detailed group of estate cottages.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Victoria Cottages
    Set at an angle to a junction along the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c.1km SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Tyddyn Pwyth
    Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Tyddyn Pwyth
    Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Tyddyn Pwyth
    Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Grand Lodge of Plas Newydd
    Set back slightly on the S side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, behind the walls of Plas Newydd and at the entrance to the Grand Drive.
  • II Pen yr Allt
    Located on the NW side of the A4080 - Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the Grand Lodge to Plas Newydd.
  • II Entrance Archways, at Grand Lodge, Plas Newydd
    The N entrance to Plas Newydd, 1.7km N of the house, leading off the S side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.
  • II Aberbraint Lodge
    Located on the NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c. 0.5km from the Llanfair Toll House.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.