This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2968 / 53°17'48"N
Longitude: -3.7688 / 3°46'7"W
OS Eastings: 282208
OS Northings: 379219
OS Grid: SH822792
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z39.VX
Mapcode Global: WH655.2DLG
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Cwstenin
Listing Date: 10 January 1951
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 5788
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On E side of Road, about 400m NW of railway line.
Town: Llandudno Junction
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Church in style of late C15 to early C16, said to have been entirely rebuilt in 1843
Gothic church. Stone walls. Slate roof. A simple rectangular building, bellcoted, with Perpendicular style windows. North and south elevations of nave and chancel each with three windows of three lights in openings with pointed heads; at west end of both elevations there is a shallow gabled projection over a tall window, each chancel window of five lights. Pedimented bellcote of ashlar over west end of nave, above a tall stepped projection which rises from floor to roof in the centre of the west wall; this projection is pierced by a repaired window of two-lights above and a window of three-lights below.
Inside the church fragments of late medieval glass have been restored to the south window of the chancel; these are representations of the Resurrection, of St George and of St Peter; in west nave window of south elevation a fragment representing St Catherine; fragment representing St Nicholas in west window of north elevation. Internal memorial monuments include tablet on North nave wall to Catherine Lloyd of Llangwstennin Hall, died 1799, by C Regnart. In the west end of the church, there are large wooden tablets, on one of which is a copy of part of the last will and testament of Lewes Owen, giving details of the transference of Lewes Owen’s right of patronage to the vicar of Conwy and of giving "gowns and shirts yearly to poor men and common in Conway."
Earlier C19 reconstruction of ancient church with some late medieval glass and interesting monuments.
Other nearby listed buildings