This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.337 / 53°20'13"N
Longitude: -3.8491 / 3°50'56"W
OS Eastings: 276971
OS Northings: 383829
OS Grid: SH769838
Mapcode National: GBR 1YKV.GH
Mapcode Global: WH53S.VD83
Entry Name: Church of St Tudno
Listing Date: 10 January 1951
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 5797
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On NE slopes of Great Orme, in a hollow known as Pant yr Eglwys.
Locality: Pant yr Eglwys
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
According to tradition, St Tudno was a son of Seithenyn, one of the rulers of Cantref y Gwaelod, the legendary drowned nation swallowed into Cardigan Bay in the C16. Tudno and his 6 brothers sought refuge at the monastery of Bangor Is Coed, and Tudno then founded a cell on the Great Orme, which gave the name Llandudno to the area. The present building has origins in C12, with basic fabric datable to C15. In 1852, there were only 3 windows, one in N and S walls, and an E window. Restored in 1855 after a period out of use, following damage in great storm of January 1839, at expense of William Henry Reece. Restoration included rebuilding of roof (but retaining much of old structure, apart from rafters), a Decorated Style east window replacing former square window "of three lights, trefoliated and Perpendicular", an additional window on S side. The C12 font was recovered from a farm where it had been in use as a water trough. The oak screen dates from 1888; further restoration 1906 when oak choir stalls were fitted, along with chancel panelling.
Plain rectangular structure of nave and chancel with stone rubble walls and slate gabled roof; porch and vestry on north side. West end has C15 doorway and single C19 bell-turret on gable end above; NW corner of church thickens to become sloping buttress. Gabled N porch with square-headed doorway and small light in gable, Gothic doorway to church; attached vestry. North side has a small, round-headed single-light original window near vestry, and 3 lancets to chancel, and one to nave, all C19 or later. South side has three windows with 2 cusped lights and square heads. East end has 3-light Decorated window.
Arch braced roof of 8 bays with moulded wall-plate/cornice at E end; vine decoration in chancel which is divided from nave by steps and wooden screen of circa 1900; choir stalls also of this period. Portion of the old rood screen (with vine pattern). Roff boss with representation of Stigmata. Porch has old pegged roof truss. Font with C12 to C13 bowl on modern pedestal. Two medieval grave slabs built into south-west wall of nave.
Graded II* as well-preserved medieval parish church of Llandudno.
Other nearby listed buildings