This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3175 / 53°19'2"N
Longitude: -3.8409 / 3°50'27"W
OS Eastings: 277466
OS Northings: 381638
OS Grid: SH774816
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZM2.8H
Mapcode Global: WH53S.ZW54
Entry Name: Church of Our Saviour (West Shore)
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 29 August 2002
Source ID: 5798
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Near junction of Great Orme's Road with Bryniau Road.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
1911 to 1912; designed by Richard Thomas Beckett (1867-1937). Beckett was articled to Paley & Austin from 1886-90, and worked in the office of John Douglas, a relative, from 1890, commencing independent practice in 1894. The original design was not completed, and the east end of the church reached its present form only in 1950s.
Church with Perpendicular detailing. Walls faced with sandstone (both internally and externally). Slate roofs. North elevation of nave has three 3-light windows at clerestorey level; smaller 2-light window to L lights chancel. Buttressed low N aisle has three 2-light windows; gabled vestry to L has 3-light window. Gabled porch to R has 2-light window to W side. W end has 4-light Perpendicular window. South elevation similar to N, with SW porch with 2-light window at gable end. At SE end, link to modern hall.
Nave of four bays with tall moulded nave arcade arches; king and queen post trusses to roof. Tall chancel arch. Lean-to side aisles; a small single light window with chamfered head and internal splayed reveals at west end of each side aisle and an internal doorway at east end of each side aisle. North side aisle has three small segmental headed windows, each of two rectangular lights with splayed jambs and, at west end of north wall, a doorway leading into external gabled porch which has a doorway with pointed head in its front wall and a two-light window in each return wall. South side aisle with a doorway at west end of south wall leading into external gabled porch with a two-light segmental headed window, thirdly, with a three-light window, fourthly, a single light window and, fifthly, a doorway leading to later C20 extension. The single light window is memorial to Major Arundell Neave who fell at Ypres in 1915, and has "ancient glass" depicting Christ carrying Cross.
At west end of nave there is a fine octagonal font of marble (dedicated 1912) with relief of Christ with children. On wall nearby, a tablet with the following inscription: "This tablet records the fact that the font in this Church was the gift of children in the memory of Lewis Carrol (C L Dodgson) the author of "Alice in Wonderland"and a lover of Llandudno".
Prominently sited church in dignified Perpendicular style showing influence of John Douglas; well-designed interior.
Other nearby listed buildings