History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Ormes Head Lighthouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandudno, Conwy

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3423 / 53°20'32"N

Longitude: -3.8688 / 3°52'7"W

OS Eastings: 275677

OS Northings: 384446

OS Grid: SH756844

Mapcode National: GBR 1YFS.6M

Mapcode Global: WH53S.J8X2

Entry Name: Great Ormes Head Lighthouse

Listing Date: 16 March 1976

Last Amended: 6 June 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5814

Building Class: Maritime

Location: On the cliffs at the NW extermity of Great Ormes Head, 99m above the sea.

County: Conwy

Town: Llandudno

Community: Llandudno

Locality: Great Ormes Head

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llandudno

History

The lighthouse and telegraph station was built in 1862, designed by G Lyster as engineer in chief to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, in collaboration with Trinity House. The design is very similar to that of Point Lynas lighthouse, which was also designed for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, and where Lyster extended the original buildings which were the work of Jesse Hartley. Originally the fixed light was illuminated by a parafin lamp which was replaced in 1904 by a petroleum burner and in 1923 by acetylene lamps. In use until 1985, when the optic and telegraph equipment were removed. The building is now a hotel.

Exterior

Strong square castellated two-storey building with rusticated rubble walls, originally whitewashed. Flat roof, with axial stacks with corbelled caps. South-east main elevation of three widely spaced bays with embattled parapet with machicolation. Chamfered window openings, two on first floor and two below. Centre ground floor bay with doorway with plaque above it with this inscription 'This lighthouse was ereceted by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board 1862 G.F.Lyster, Engineer'. Small canted full-height projection overlooking sea on NW elevation houses lantern room with former telegraph room above. Lantern has a segmental bay window with vertical glazing bars, on a platform with cast-iron railings. At each return elevation, a small yard is enclosed by a high machicolated curved wall.

Reasons for Listing

Although the building does not retain any of its equipment, it remains as a strongly expressive and distinctive design, clearly indicating its original purpose, in a style especially associated with the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.