This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3211 / 53°19'15"N
Longitude: -3.8137 / 3°48'49"W
OS Eastings: 279283
OS Northings: 381997
OS Grid: SH792819
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZT1.46
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.DS5B
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 5816
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On corner with Clarence Road, aligned N-S.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Late C19; by J Oldrid Scott. Built as memorial to the Duke of Clarence (died 1892), the oldest son of the Prince of Wales. Foundation stone laid 1893, nave 1895, aisles 1899, chancel 1901, when the church was consecrated. Projected tower at SE (liturgical SW) corner not built.
Elegant church in Gothic style. Nave, aisles, chancel; stone walls with dressings, banks and quoins in contrasting stone. Slate roofs. Facing Mostyn Avenue, entrance front wall of nave with chequer work in apex of gable end and very tall window, plate tracery with two paired lights with octafoil over; on the ground floor a gabled porch with cusped head to moulded arch. Lofty nave with hexafoil clerestorey windows; aisles with two-light windows with cusped heads and with string course at sill level; buttresses; bellcote with fleche on ridge at north end of nave. North (seaward) chancel wall with chequer work in apex of gable end and with a large window of three-lights; east chancel wall with two two-light windows with quatrefoils over. To W of chancel, at right angles, block with tall stone chimney, and at right angles to this, lower block with pitched roof, 3-light window to N, and flat-roofed porch.
Lofty nave with elaborate open arch-braced and wind-braced roof; wall shafts on fluted corbels. Buff and red sandstone walling. Aisle arcades have black marble cylindrical piers (fossil marble from Frosterley in Northumberland). Aisle windows with rerearches with central freestanding columns. At clerestorey level, round hexafoil windows set in round-headed arcading, flanked by blind lancets. Chancel arch with black marble shafts with annulets; polychrome tiled chancel floor. To L of chancel, 2-arched organ chamber with black marble central shaft; sedilia and aumbrey to R of chancel. Two bay chancel roof with wal-shafts. East window 1913 by Powell & Sons, London. Octagonal pink marble pulpit has polychrome insets of symbols of evangelists. Font with green marble bowl and shaft on stepped base of grey marble. Organ by William Hill 1910.
Well-designed and detailed church by this nationally important architect.
Other nearby listed buildings