This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8951 / 51°53'42"N
Longitude: -3.0468 / 3°2'48"W
OS Eastings: 328065
OS Northings: 222358
OS Grid: SO280223
Mapcode National: GBR F4.QWBD
Mapcode Global: VH78T.4MNK
Entry Name: Tynyllwyn
Listing Date: 19 July 1963
Last Amended: 19 November 1998
Source ID: 6690
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 200m SE of Partrishow church and reached by footpaths from church and on W side of a minor road to Grwyne Fawr reservoir.
Community: The Vale of Grwyney (Cwm Grwyne)
Community: The Vale of Grwyney
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Said to have originated in C15 as a long house. The upper end was rebuilt late C16 with a hall and 2 inner rooms, and had a lower byre and an outside cross passage. The byre was replaced by a kitchen in 1649 (date on stack) when the house was owned by a branch of the Herbert family, earls of Pembroke. Subsequently wings were added in line with the cross passage, forming a distinctive cruciform plan. The house was well restored mid C20 when a small lean-to was removed from SW side.
Two-storey house with attic, built on a sloping site, consisting of a main range oriented N-S with lower E and W wings, forming a cruciform plan. The original house was the N, uphill, end of the main range. Of limewashed rubble stone walls, with a pronounced batter and a projecting stone plinth at the downhill end, with stone tile roofs. At the S end is a stone stack engraved with the date 1649 below 2 detached diagonal shafts. In the centre of the main range is a C19 ridge stack (replacing original C16 stack). In S, downhill, gable end are windows L of centre renewed in earlier openings (with hood mould to lower storey). In R side wall is a 3-light casement in the upper storey with window below renewed in earlier openings. The E wing has, facing S, a C20 ribbed and boarded door with stop-chamfer surround, and a 3-light casement upper R with renewed wooden ovolo mullions. The gable end has a corbelled 1st-floor stack. To R in the upper storey is a small opening (now boarded) with drip stone. In the lower storey are a blocked doorway with drip stone to R and a 4-light window L with renewed diamond mullions and minor stanchions.
Beyond the wing the main range has a casement lower L in an earlier opening lighting the hall, and a 4-light window with diamond mullions and minor stanchions to the service room. The upper storey has 2 similar diamond mullion windows (renewed to L). The N gable end is built into the bank and has 2 attic windows with diamond mullions and minor wooden stanchions (under hood mould to L, with renewed mullions to R). The W side wall has a similar 3-light window to service room lower L, 2-light casement to hall lower R, with small 2-light diamond-mullion stair light at the R end. In the upper storey is a 4-light window offset to R, also with diamond mullions and minor stanchions.
The W wing has a single-storey stable projection against the gable end, built into the bank on the N side, of rubble stone with stone tile roof to S slope, corrugated iron to N slope. In its S wall is a boarded door to L; in its gable end is a window with diamond mullions and drip stone. Above the stable the W wing gable end has a narrow opening beneath the apex (lighting attic stair) and a window offset to L in the upper storey. In the side wall facing S is a C20 ribbed and boarded door in an earlier opening, with casement to L. The L side wall of the main range has a blocked doorway and window above it.
The principal elements of the 2 main phases (late C16 and 1649) are substantially intact. The cross passage survives between the wings and has Tudor-headed doorways with stop-chamfer surrounds and boarded doors with strap hinges. The hall has a C16 fireplace with a timber lintel and stone fireplace stair. A post-and-panel partition has 2 Tudor-headed doorways, with a planked door to R. In the hall are cross beams with stepped stops and similarly chamfered joists. The parlour has an original timber window seat (other window seats are renewed).
At the S end of the main range is the kitchen of 1649, which has a fireplace with a timber lintel carved with stylised foliage and a possible gryphon. To R of the fireplace is a window seat. Cross beams have run-out stops. The wings both have cross beams with stepped stops.
At first-floor level is a Tudor-headed doorway to the downhill end above the kitchen, where a boarded and ribbed door opens to an attic stone stair housed in the W wing. At the S end is a re-set fireplace stone lintel with a triangular head and cambered soffit, and engraved with a fleur-de-lys. At the uphill end, above the hall, is a straight stone stair against the N gable end to the attic. Collar-beam roof.
Listed Grade II* as one of the most interesting regional examples of a sub-medieval house with earlier origins, retaining its plan form and with good surviving detail.
Group value with the surrounding listed farm buildings and former garden features.
Other nearby listed buildings