This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9827 / 51°58'57"N
Longitude: -4.0622 / 4°3'43"W
OS Eastings: 258475
OS Northings: 233585
OS Grid: SN584335
Mapcode National: GBR DS.K91G
Mapcode Global: VH4HH.JFVG
Entry Name: Pont Cothi (partly in Llanfynydd Community)
Listing Date: 8 July 1966
Last Amended: 13 September 2002
Source ID: 9380
Building Class: Transport
Location: Spanning the Afon Cothi in the centre of the village and carrying a minor road immediately S of its junction with the B4310.
Community: Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A wooden bridge over the Cothi at Abergorlech is mentioned in 1675, the present bridge therefore being later. It was repaired in 1794 by John Jones (details on parapet), which probably refers to the construction of the segmental arch to the L bank.
A single-carriageway 3-bay bridge of rubble stone. The central piers have full-height V-shaped cutwaters rising to the parapet as refuges. The centre and R-hand (N) arches are pointed with narrow voussoirs, of which the R-hand is partly distorted. The later L-hand arch is segmental with dressed voussoirs. All arches have drip moulds. The parapet has a simple coping course. On the downstream side one refuge has a small stone tablet inscribed 'this bridge was mended by John Jones 1794'. On the R (N) bank the approach and parapet curve outwards on the upstream side, while on the downstream side they are continuous with a sinuous roadside wall. The L (S) bank has a splayed stone abutment.
Listed grade II* as an especially fine and well-preserved sub-medieval road bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings