This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.884 / 51°53'2"N
Longitude: -4.1967 / 4°11'47"W
OS Eastings: 248909
OS Northings: 222882
OS Grid: SN489228
Mapcode National: GBR DL.RKPD
Mapcode Global: VH3LC.6XR3
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Last Amended: 22 October 2003
Source ID: 9386
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: An isolated church on the S side of a minor road approximately 1.2km NNW of Nantgaredig.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Nave and chancel are of medieval origin and the tower is post-medieval, but the detail belongs mainly to a restoration of 1906, as do the internal fixtures.
A small, simple Gothic style church comprising nave with lower and narrower chancel and W tower. Walls are rubble stone with freestone dressings and red sandstone quoins, the roof is slate. The 3-stage tower is slightly battered to the base and has a corbelled NE stair turret incorporated in the nave wall. It has a pointed S doorway with continuous chamfer and boarded door. In the W face a window to the ringing chamber comprises 2 round-headed lights under a drip mould set well above. All faces have narrow belfry openings. The pyramidal roof has a finial.
The nave has two 2-light windows, with pointed quatrefoil tracery light, but not symmetrically placed. To the L of the windows is a blocked former S doorway. In the chancel S wall is another blocked doorway, and a small medieval cusped window now infilled. The 3-light E window has intersecting tracery. A gabled vestry is on the N side, which has a 2-light N window with doorway to its R, and an E doorway with boarded door. The nave has 2 cusped N windows.
The nave has a plastered wagon roof, tall plain plastered tower arch and similarly plain but chamfered chancel arch. The chancel has a polygonal boarded wagon roof. A pointed ribbed N door leads to the vestry.
The painted octagonal font is C19. Plain pews have moulded ends and choir stalls have poppy heads. Simple wooden communion rail. There are 2 wall tablets. In the chancel N wall is a memorial to Daniel Davies (d 1828) comprising a marble sarcophagus on slate background. The chancel S wall has a memorial to the Rev Thomas Thomas (d 1926), a simple classical tablet on a slate background, by A M Lewis.
Listed as a small rural parish church retaining Edwardian character.
Other nearby listed buildings