This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8112 / 51°48'40"N
Longitude: -4.1605 / 4°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 251155
OS Northings: 214714
OS Grid: SN511147
Mapcode National: GBR DN.X2N6
Mapcode Global: VH3LR.TQVX
Entry Name: Capel Bigawdin
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Last Amended: 12 December 2003
Source ID: 9395
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Attached to a field wall S of Wern-las Farm, approximately 2km SE of Llanddarog village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A medieval well chapel mainly of C16 date.
Small ruined chapel with a stream flowing through it. Walls are rubble stone, stand to full height in the W and E walls, which retain putlog holes, to half its original height in the N wall, while the S wall acts as a retaining wall to a steep bank. A pointed W doorway is double chamfered. Above it is a 2-light square-headed window with chamfered mullions, in C16 style. A gabled bellcote has partly fallen. Inside, the W wall has a corbelled niche upper-R of the doorway. The N wall also has a small corbelled niche. The E wall retains a window opening but the dressings have been removed.
Listed grade II* for its exceptional historical interest as a medieval chapel built over a holy well.
Other nearby listed buildings