This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8628 / 51°51'45"N
Longitude: -4.295 / 4°17'42"W
OS Eastings: 242066
OS Northings: 220731
OS Grid: SN420207
Mapcode National: GBR DG.SZ5G
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.HFRV
Entry Name: Y Garreg Filltir with rear low wall and railing
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9419
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated above main road, with driveway off Priory Close.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Locality: Abbey Mead
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Early C19 villa, formerly known as Furnace Lodge, and then as Milestone. Said to have been built in 1801, and to have been owned by successive owners of the iron and tinworks below, and occupied by the managers. Marked on 1837 Tithe Map as owned with the tin mills by the Hon W. H. Yelverton, occupied by Hugh Downman, one of the partners in the mills since 1831. In 1835 Mrs Charlotte Smith's English and French Establishment for Young Ladies was at Furnace Lodge, having been at Carmarthen House, Spilman Street in 1828. The iron railings to the rear are similar to those at Furnace House, St Peters Street dated 1761, which would make them earlier than the house itself, perhaps reused. Since 1981 converted to flats. The rear terraced wall, and cobbled yard with single-storey hipped stable and coach-house mentioned in 1981 listing have gone. 1987 Housing Design Award winner.
House, painted stucco with slate hipped roof, bracketed flat eaves and tall stucco end stacks. Two storey, 3-bay SE front, with hornless 12-pane sash windows, over 2 French windows with marginal glazing bars and centre arched niche. Left SW end wall has two 15-pane hornless sash windows close-set in centre of first floor and large arched window (door in 1981) to ground floor right with radiating-bar fanlight over fixed window (probably former door), all with marginal glazing bars. Lean-to C20 conservatory to left with arched window within, former door with traceried fanlight, reeded pilasters each side and moulded arch. C20 window. Right NE end has arched window to ground floor centre with C20 glazing, 20-pane sash each floor to centre right and 10-pane sash each floor to right.
Rear has 12-pane sash to right and NE rear wing set back to left with C20 glazing and alterations. One 8-pane window in angle over a door, then first floor 12-pane sash over 2 16-pane windows. Two C20 ground floor arched openings to left and NW gable-end of 2 storeys and attic, 2 9-pane attic windows, 2 12-pane first floor windows and big porch, all C20. NE side of wing has 3-window range continuous with right end of main house, with close eaves, sash windows, door to left in C20 glazed porch and raised truncated side-wall chimneybreast to right.
Short quarter-circle low wall and railings by NW end of house; wall of painted brick with stone coping; iron railings of fluted column on vase form with finials, similar to those in front of Furnace House, St Peter's Street.
Much altered in renovation. Arches in end walls of SW rooms, one in SW room now a window.
Included as a substantial late Georgian villa associated with the Carmarthen iron and tin works, retaining original external character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings