This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8557 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.3064 / 4°18'22"W
OS Eastings: 241258
OS Northings: 219967
OS Grid: SN412199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8GQ
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9MR9
Entry Name: No.23 Bridge Street,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9427
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 15m S of entrance into Nott Square.
Locality: Bridge Street
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house possibly of C18 origins, much altered in C20. Shown on 1834 map, a shop in the C19, in 1884 occupied by Mrs Margaretta Davies, shopkeeper. Occupied by Mrs Margaret Cocks before 1938. In 2 parts, rear W now flats, front E now shop.
House now shop, 2 storeys, cellar and attic, stuccoed with close-eaved slate roofs. Two facades, the principal one to E.
E front has 3 large late C20 gabled slate-hung dormers with 12-pane hornless sashes (one dormer only in 1981), 3 12-pane hornless sash windows to first floor and ground floor late C20 imitation of earlier C19 shopfront: large 20-pane window to left with cellar entry below protected by iron grille, and to right, recessed doorway with C20 half-glazed panelled double door adjacent to 4-16-4 pane square bay window (formerly over boarded doors to cellar). Narrow fascia with dentils to minimal cornice.
W rear elevation of 2 storeys and basement, 2 bays, with windows to right at higher level, lighting stair. One dormer to attic left. Right side has 12-pane hornless sash to intermediate levels above ground and first floors and basement light below. Left side has 12-pane sash to first and ground floors, and recessed C20 door up 3 steps just right of ground floor window.
Interior altered after 1981, when there was a C18 staircase with turned balusters, panelling to staircase wall and raised and fielded panelled partitions and raised and fielded panelled doors. Cellar not then inspected.
At time of resurvey none of the timber features were apparent, 2 heavy beams in ground floor apparently re-used, upper floors not available for inspection, staircase at rear replaced.
Retained on list despite alterations as part of the C18 townscape and as retaining a more intact late Georgian rear facade to W.
Other nearby listed buildings