This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8638 / 51°51'49"N
Longitude: -4.3199 / 4°19'11"W
OS Eastings: 240355
OS Northings: 220905
OS Grid: SN403209
Mapcode National: GBR DF.SR49
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.2FL1
Entry Name: Carmarthen Cemetery Chapel
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9431
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in cemetery some 400m N of Lime Grove House.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Locality: Elim Road
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Cemetery chapel of 1855-6 by William Wesley Jenkins, built as one of 2 chapels to the Borough Cemetery, proposed in 1853. Plans were received in 1854 from James Wilson, R.K. Penson and W.W. Jenkins, Penson's were chosen and then rejected. Jenkins' plans chosen in 1855 were for 2 chapels, walls, and entrance gates, the chapels being for Anglicans and nonconformists. Opened in 1856 by Bishop Thirlwall, and the churchyard of St Peter's was then closed for burials. One of the two chapels and entrance gates have been demolished.
Cemetery chapel, rubble stone with ashlar dressings and slate gabled roof. West gable end has buttresses each side gabled at mid height and at tops. Gable has broad ashlar band below coping with small plain corbel blocks. At apex is blocking course with gabled ashlar masonry above, probably the truncated remains of a bellcote. Roundel window with ashlar trefoil above moulded pointed ashlar doorway with mouldings dying into chamfered jambs. Hoodmould with carved head stops, double ledged doors with iron strap hinges. N and S side elevations each have 2 pairs of 2-light lancet windows with leaded glazing, sill band, small corbels under eaves gutters, gabled buttress each end against a raised wall-pier. Coped E gable, short lower chancel.
Plain interior with plastered walls, open timber roof, and small chancel.
Included as a mid C19 cemetery chapel in Gothic style.
Other nearby listed buildings