This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8706 / 51°52'14"N
Longitude: -4.3211 / 4°19'15"W
OS Eastings: 240299
OS Northings: 221658
OS Grid: SN402216
Mapcode National: GBR DF.SBV0
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.17ZV
Entry Name: Elim independent Chapel
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9432
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated about 1km N of Lime Grove House, by junction with road to Pentre Celyn Farm.
Locality: Ffynnon Ddrain
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Independent chapel of 1849-50 renovated in 1887 when the facade was stuccoed, windows altered and interior refitted. Gates and railings dated 1898. Windows altered to uPVC since 1981. The cause began in 1821.
Chapel, painted stucco with slate hipped roof and deep flat eaves. Stucco angle quoins, plinth and surrounds to 2 arched centre windows and 2 outer square-headed doors. Windows have (since 1981) C20 uPVC imitations of original glazing bars with 2 arched lights and roundel. In centre and above, 2 plaques, the upper one inscribed "Elim a adeiladwyd 1849 Ac a adgyweiriwyd 1887", the lower one, older, inscribed "Elim adeiladwyd 1849". Two outer doorways with modern half-glazed doors with coloured glass. Side walls have a C20 uPVC upper window, replacing sash.
Near-square interior with floor slightly raked up to back and pews in 3 blocks. Three sided gallery with curved angles, on plain iron posts, the gallery front with inset panels of filigree cast-iron and divided by arch-panelled piers. Cornices above and below, the bottom cornice with zigzag moulding. Centre clock. Plain square set fawr. Pulpit with 2 arched panels to front, and 2 panels set back, all with fretwork decoration. Small timber pulpit-back between front windows. Ceiling with coved border and timber-boarded square main part divided by diagonal ribs with square corner panels and lozenge centre. Curved pews in gallery, and C20 organ.
Retained on list despite altered windows as mid C19 hipped-roof chapel in a rural setting, with 1887 interior.
Other nearby listed buildings